Embedded Firmware Developer
About the position
We are looking for an innovative Firmware Developer to join the Avidrone Aerospace team. The position is part of a small, highly skilled team of aviation developers where you will be responsible for the design, development and integration of control systems in our fully autonomous autopilot system for large scale industrial drones. The work includes the development of real time control and data processing elements and sensor fusion as required to fly our small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) and drone platforms ranging from small to large industrial, and 900lb + class military drones.
You are a driven and skilled embedded firmware developer with cross functional experience in hardware, software and system engineering teams. You aren’t afraid to work for an early stage tech start up company that is super innovative and has great growth potential.
You possess a broad technical knowledge base, grounded in a technical degree and rounded out through experience working in highly technical environments.
You enjoy a challenge and love solving complex issues. You have a meticulous eye for detail and can take the lead and ensure deliverable deadlines are met. You are flexible and able to react quickly in dynamic environments. You get stuff done using practical, hands on approaches and solutions.
As an added bonus, you are highly interested in things that fly and enjoy being a key contributor to a small team of like minded aviation enthusiasts. Have great feeling of accomplishment watching your hard work take flight.
What you will be doing
- Design and generate high-quality real time embedded software for Avidrone’s autopilot flight control platform
- Work closely with the team to understand flight control theory
- Bring creative and innovative ideas to enhance the product and its abilities
- Test and debug embedded systems to ensure flawless performance in our UAVs
- Create PC side applications to verify and validate flight controller components
- Develop documentation and design materials as required
- Develop applications for user control and APIs
- Bring a reliable, robust product to market and production ready status
- Support customer requests for customization in our firmware to work directly with their hardware and other unmanned vehicles
What you’ll need
- 5+ years experience with C/C++ as used within real time embedded systems
- Knowledge of control systems including IMU, GPS and other supporting sensors
- Experience developing low level code for ARM based processors
- A working understanding of ARM hardware peripherals
- Excellent problem solving skills including mathematics, theory and physics of flight, and PID control loops
- Ability to use standard lab equipment like logic analyses and oscilloscopes for system level debugging
- Ability to work independently and stay self-motivated taking ownership and pride in your work
Bonus Points for
- Experience with aerial vehicles
- Experience bringing a prototype product through to commercialization
- Experience working with an early stage tech start-up
- Hardware design experience
- Personal interest in electronics, robotics, radio control hobbies, and aviation
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional practical thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible, fun, and collaborative work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that solve unique problems for our customers. We are self-motivated innovators, highly competitive, and feel passionate and rewarded by achieving our company goals as a team.
AVIDRONE designs and manufactures fully automated unmanned industrial drone systems bringing new capabilities to top industries by providing custom drones that can carry goods, sensors, collect data and imagery, and lift virtually any payloads or packages. Avidrone offers a full end-to-end system that is fully proprietary from industrial grade record breaking airframe designs focusing on heavy lifting, long endurance and delivery missions to the in-house developed drone autopilot electronics and flight control software.
Avidrone is unique in the drone industry as a B to B company specifically catering its products to customers’ needs and requirements. Avidrone builds custom drones for the desired mission and mass produces an industrial quality, easy to use turn key system.