LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
- Successfully manage the delivery of projects or work streams across the different phases of the Project Management Life Cycle (e.g., intake, resourcing, execution, reporting , performance-tracking, close-out, etc.) while leveraging applicable PMO methodologies and tools.
- Deliver projects across the enterprise leveraging a reasonable understanding of business and IT practices, terminologies and processes. The Project Manager ultimately seeks to facilitate the achievement of business goals within Economical by providing the right level of project management expertise.
- Facilitate the Agile process, guide and mentor teams, remove impediments/blockers or guide the team to remove impediments. In addition, they will deliver optimal team performance in line with benchmarking and agreed metrics/KPIs. The Agile Project Manager understands and is an expert in both Waterfall and Agile methodologies.
What can you expect in this role?
- Plan and execute projects using selected methodology for managing project scope, requirements changes, multiple and competing demands and priorities.
- Use appropriate fact-based metrics / assumptions to determine and convey impact on budget, time and risk.
- Launch and manage the delivery of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery
- Facilitate Agile ceremonies including: sprint planning, backlog grooming, daily stand ups, sprint retrospectives, sprint demos and release planning. Lead teams in estimation, sizing, and sprint roadmap exercise.
- Coordinate project team/POD activities and expectations, including collaboration with all project stakeholders from other Economical areas, internal and external consultants, contractors, vendors and external regulatory organizations
- Identify, manage and monitor risks, assumptions, blockers, impediments, constraints and internal and cross-track dependencies
- Resolve project issues and conflicts, create or facilitate an action plan to resolve and escalate issues appropriately as required
- Lead team in using Agile techniques: User Stories, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing.
- Provide reports tailored to various audiences according to complexity, risk and stakeholder reporting requirements.
- Develop project charters, high-level requirements and revise initial planning estimates
- Adopt established governance model, guiding principles, foundational processes and procedures, to ensure consistent project delivery practices
- Establish and maintain project oversight, governance and ensure appropriate oversight committees are in place and meet regularly
- Aggregate financial and non-financial project data at the project level
- Ensure that project outcomes are accepted, measure and analyze stakeholder perceptions
- Work with Finance and project sponsors to track delivery costs and determine benefits realization post implementation
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams including Client Services, Architects, Designers, Developers, Business Analysts, Technical Testers as well as business and IT leadership
- Liaise with Client Services to ensure open and continuous communication around expectations, progress, challenges and risks. Develop and execute communication plan for all stakeholders
What do you bring to the role?
- University Degree or College Diploma in computer science, information systems or a related discipline; PMP designation is an asset
- 5+ years of experience leading teams using project management tools and techniques, both Agile and Milestone-based/Waterfall.
- Experience in Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Scrum.
- Able to confidently provide effective written and verbal updates on the product roadmap and key projects to senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Experience working with or large system integrator or outsourced IT service providers is an asset
- Experience in the Property and Casualty Insurance industry and its related practices and processes is an asset
- Experience with Jira/Confluence, Microsoft SharePoint, MS Project, or other resource management and tracking tools (e.g. Clarity)
- A critical thinker, works well under pressure, and perform well in a fast paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to influence and effectively negotiate with stakeholders
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document. The posting will close at midnight on the deadline date; in order to successfully apply, please ensure your application is submitted by 11:59 p.m. the day before the deadline.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.