About Clearpath Robotics Inc.
Clearpath Robotics Inc. develops the future of robotics technology through development and sale of industry-leading self-driving technology, products, and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO™ Motors. Clearpath Robotics Inc. is an award-winning company with recent awards including Robotics Business Review Top 50 Robotics Company, Edison Award for Innovation, Business Insider Top 40 under 40, and Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
About Clearpath Robotics Research Solutions
Clearpath Robotics’ research solutions group is a global leader in unmanned vehicle robotics for research and development, and provides hardware, software, and services to enable self-driving vehicle development, deployment, and operation. Clearpath Robotics works with over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands in over 40 countries, serving markets that span mining, military, agriculture, aerospace, and academia. Visit Clearpath Robotics at www.clearpathrobotics.com.
About the Job
Clearpath's custom solutions and services group offers our clients access to our ‘skunkworks’ teams, that specialize in unmanned vehicles and mobile robotics technology development and integration, thereby providing them a shorter time to market at lower risk and lower total cost. We offer a wide range of consulting, design, prototyping, manufacturing, integration, and support services enabling our clients to stay focused on their core value in their respective markets without having to worry about the technical details of the automation technology that enables their products. We are seeking a senior level Mobile Robotics Applications Engineer to be constantly learning new technology, developing new system concepts, creating the foundation for successful projects, and helping our clients get started with their new robot and software tools.
You will undertake a wide variety of tasks in various aspects of mechanical, electrical, mechatronics, and software engineering and product development, primarily in early stage design, development, requirements, and specification definition, cost estimating as well as ongoing support for the Clearpath project teams. This will range from answering early stage technical questions in collaboration with our sales team, to technology investigations, system architecting, developing concepts for integrated multi-robot systems, drafting product requirements and functional specification documents for new products, to presenting concepts and proposals to potential customers.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Project scope definition in collaboration with our sales team and prospective clients
- Concept development, cost development, risk assessments, and proposal writing
- Providing support to our sales team on calls and meetings with potential clients, including some travel to customer sites for discovery and presentation of proposals
- Sourcing major components from existing and new suppliers
- Interacting and coordinating our development team as necessary to come up with new ideas
- Interacting with our project management team to develop project execution plans and schedules
- Providing guidance as necessary to the project team after design begins
Additional tasks may include:
- Evaluation of new products and vendors
- Developing demos with our products and assisting Sales & Marketing in demonstrating Clearpath's products and capabilities
- Investigating new technologies and markets
- Presenting at tradeshows and seminars
- Developing early stage prototypes and proof of concepts for new products and
- Testing new products
You want to work for a technology company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You like being the go-to person for technical questions. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
- Degree in engineering or a related field, with applicable background
- Working knowledge in software, controls, mobile robotics, and/or manufacturing processes
- Experience in pitching a value proposition for a new technology
- Able to quickly grasp new technical and business problems, able to put self in clients' shoes
- Capable of identifying skills and resources required to complete projects which may range from 3-18 months in duration
- Able to communicate concepts readily through sketches, block diagrams, flowcharts, and technical writing
- Able to facilitate productive technical team meetings to converge on solution definitions and work plans
Bonus points for:
- Understanding of the various problems which face robotics adopters (technical and otherwise)
- Proficiency in using 3D solid modeling for generating concept models
- Past hands-on experience with mobile robots (hardware and/or software, both is ideal)
- Project management experience
- Vehicle design experience
- Past experience in "traditional" application engineering and systems commissioning
- Ability to diagnose broken equipment by its sounds and smells, or while blindfolded