Position Type: Full Time
Department: Customer Experience
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions which directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE’s airline customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is currently seeking an Instructional Designer to support the creation of a wide variety of customer-facing training materials including user guides, reference manuals, eLearning, online help and other customer facing support and/or learning content to accurately describe the functionality of NAVBLUE products.
The Instructional Designer is responsible for developing instructional material, such as customer training courses, that help support NAVBLUE’s products. For that purpose, the Instructional Designer is tasked with creating material that help all types of users understand the product better. This means demonstrating efficiency through analysis of customers' needs and managing projects, in addition to developing courses that cater to all levels of the audience.
The ability to utilize multimedia technology is an asset, since the online training packages are developed to share knowledge with the clients on how to succeed in being an end-user of the products. The Instructional Designer is responsible for determining the needs of the course and the appropriate method of delivery. It is up to the Instructional Designer to make decisions about demonstrating instructional design principles and adult learning theory.
- Work with subject matter experts and business owners across the organization to research, plan, produce and maintain high quality training and documentation materials for both customer-facing and internal use.
- Define end user training needs through structured sessions with Product Management, Customer Support, Sales & other teams directly involved in the production, delivery or support of our products.
- Train and support SMEs across the business on the use of our new content creation tools, working closely with them to ensure they understand the new development strategy.
- Build content development project plans with SME’s that follow the ‘Micro Learning’ based methodology, coaching and mentoring staff at all levels in the organisation to ensure the scope, plan and responsibilities are clearly understood.
- Develop the content defined in partnership with the SME’s, editing & curating content as well as building new materials directly as required.
- Interface with Software Development and Software Quality Assurance on UI design and accuracy.
- Achieve the desired end goal through application of a strong project management framework.
- Influence required stakeholders across, clearly articulating deadlines or customer dependencies to ensure availability of required resources.
- Work closely with Customer Support to identify customer pain points and rapidly improve existing or develop new materials to address the issues.
- Identify methodology and process improvements, and champion the adoption of new technologies within the team and across NAVBLUE.
- Coach and mentor more junior members of the Customer Experience team as they come on-board.
- Adhere to brand guidelines, standards and requirements for creation and distribution of documentation.
- Support the development of customer training courses including development of the new ‘flipped-classroom’ based sessions and support trainers in the scheduling and delivery of these sessions.
- Work directly with customers to gather feedback on training, develop customized courses and deliver training as required directly to customers.
- Communicate project/work status orally, written or other as required.
- Complete other projects or assignments, as required.
- Successful completion of College or University degree in Communications or Education - related discipline, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in information/instructional design or technical writing/communications in a software development organization, in positions of progressive responsibility
- Fluent and professional in English, business writing and technical editing, with proven documentation skills in terms of development, content management, maintenance, versioning, etc.
- Strong influencing skills and ability to work at all levels within an organization
- Excellent communication skills (both written & verbal)
- Research and information gathering skills
- Advanced knowledge / proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, graphics design software (e.g. FrameMaker, Adobe suite, InDesign, Pagemaker, Photoshop, etc.) and multi-media project development (e.g. Camtasia, Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, Vyond, etc.)
- Familiar with or experience in using authoring/online help solutions such as Adobe Robohelp or Madcap Flare.
- Detailed understanding of technical publications processes and technologies as well as instructional design procedures
- Must be able to work effectively both within a team environment as well as independently with little supervision, and handle multiple projects concurrently within both environments
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Detail-oriented individual who can learn new concepts and apply them quickly
- Effective interpersonal skills; adaptable to all levels of the organization
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with the ability to effectively adapt to change
- Must be proactive, self-motivated, and flexible in order to meet deadlines and see projects through from beginning to end
- Understanding of adult learning principles and ADDIE design methodology an asset
- Experience in the aviation industry a definite asset
- Ability to speak French is an asset
Located in the heart of University of Waterloo’s David Johnston Research + Technology Park, NAVBLUE is close to shops, restaurants, gyms, daycare, and many other amenities, and only 10 minutes away from Hwy 85. The modern design of our suite on the second floor of the Accelerator Centre draws its inspiration from airport terminals, and features bright, open work stations, rather than boxed-in cubicles. As part of our family, you will enjoy:
- Flexible hours
- Work from anywhere opportunities
- Free parking
- Strong work-life balance
- Casual dress code (shorts and jeans welcome!)
- Competitive flexible group benefits plan
- RRSP matching program
- Referral program
- Rewards and Recognition program
- Training and Development Support
- Monthly Lunch and Learns
- Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
- Weekly healthy snacks and holiday lunches
- An active social committee
- Lunch hour sporting activities (hockey, soccer, volleyball etc.) with a shower on site
- And much more!
Not to mention, the aviation industry’s ongoing digital transformation means we must continually innovate and rise to the many challenges faced by our geographically diverse customers. We are always looking for creative ways to improve our processes and technologies to be a leader in the highly competitive aviation market.
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in joining the NAVBLUE team are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus company, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions, including aeronautical charts, navigation data solutions, flight planning, aircraft performance software (take-off/landing, weight and balance), and crew planning solutions. These products directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
Through digital and collaborative innovation, our passionate and customer-focused team develops solutions to enhance the safety and efficiency of air transport. Over the last few years, Airbus has been supportive of various initiatives such as Going Digital, Performance Based Navigation Services, Air Traffic Management Modernization Programs, FlySmart on iOS and other digital projects related to new aircraft technologies; the launch of NAVBLUE was therefore a natural step to further develop its Flight Operations and Air Traffic Management Portfolio.
NAVBLUE is a fully owned subsidiary of Services by Airbus, fueled by the agility of Airbus ProSky and Navtech (acquired in 2016), and the pioneering spirit of Airbus, NAVBLUE was created in July 2016 with one mission: lead aviation into the digital age.
NAVBLUE is based in Hersham (UK), Cardiff (UK), Toulouse (France), Waterloo, ON (Canada), Halifax, NS (Canada), with other offices all around the world.