Who we are and what we do
Founded in 2011, Mappedin powers search and discovery indoors, enabling consumers to find what they’re looking for with speed and ease. Our software platform provides industry leading tools to manage dynamic indoor spatial data and offer wayfinding experiences for customer-facing applications, including a recent collaboration with Apple Maps.
Mappedin works with the ten largest malls in Canada, the largest REITs in the US, and in stores, hospitals, campuses, and airports around the world.
The Foundations team at Mappedin manages all of the core infrastructure related to deploying services to our teams, and to our customers.
Who you are and what you’ll do
You’re a seasoned developer who’s seen the best and worst of software development. You’re not worried about getting your hands dirty operating a piece of a legacy infrastructure that hasn’t been touched for months or years. You’ve spent your days learning how to solve problems on the command line, because doing things manually just doesn’t cut it for you. You love seeing the data. You want to understand why and what you can do to help a service whose 99th percentile of response time just jumped 500 ms. You want to know what’s happening under the hood that’s causing another service to see an elevated error rate.
As part of the Foundations team and reporting to the Software Development Manager (Foundations), you will develop core tools used by our teams to streamline their development workflows, and ensure deploying and operating their software is seamless:
- Developing core services that expose access to our data
- Developing new deployment pipelines that allow our services to hit production faster
- Developing tools that allow us to investigate problems with services and resolve them
- Optimize existing tools and infrastructure
- Ensure the infrastructure our services runs on remains performant, and continues to scale with us
- Working with other teams to productionize the services that they’ve built, and help define and maintain adherence with the SLOs for those services.
The ideal candidate likely has experience in one or more of the following areas as well:
- Experience with a cloud provider (AWS/Azure/GCP)
- Docker; Docker Swarm. Kubernetes, or other container orchestration system would be an asset
- Understanding of computer networking, and how to manage network related issues; experience deploying and maintaining services at scale would be an asset
- Experience deploying resources using Terraform would be an asset
- Comfortable troubleshooting services written by other teams
What are some challenges?
SRE always comes with its challenges. When a service is down, or performing poorly, the SRE team is usually the one that gets identified as the first to jump into resolving it. You’ll need to know a little bit about a lot of different projects, even ones that lie outside the team itself.
When incidents occur, you’re the one writing the post mortems and gathering the information needed to produce a report on what happened, why, and how the team is going to prevent it from happening again.
Behind the scenes
We maintain dozens of services that are consumed by each other, and many services external to the team, and to the company. We focus on automation, ensuring that these services are as sustainable as they can be without human interaction, and only require human interaction when new edge cases arise.
We have some tools that are used internally to generate reports, or other transformations of our source data, that will either be consumed internally, or by our customers.
There’s a lot of trust here at Mappedin. We offer a flexible working environment, have a generous vacation policy, and we all work together to help you produce your best work. We stay curious, challenge opinions, take risks, and learn from mistakes. We’re competitive and we like to win together.
Lastly, if you’re allergic to cats, don’t worry! Our office cat, Hobbes stays in his own room and won’t bother you unless you decide to work in there with him.