LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
- Lead your team in the effective usage of leading-edge Big Data tools and best practices
- Support the direct (Sonnet) and broker channels for Finance, Product, Pricing and Underwriting, Marketing, Claims and Communications
- Build and implement Cloudera Hadoop-based Big Data solutions
- Build and deploy production services using software development life cycle practices
- Architect and implement Big Data development best practices with open source Hadoop technologies
- Drive delivery of applications and data pipelines into production environments
- Determine optimal developer team structure, tooling and training
What do you bring to the role?
- Experience designing and building world class high-volume batch and real-time data ingestion, processing frameworks and advanced analytics on big data platforms
- Firm understanding of database systems – Data modelling, SQL query processing, NoSQL and Transactions
- Knowledge of how to scale distributed systems and applications in order to make them work quickly
- Strong programming experience in Java and Scala with proficiency in Python
- Solid understanding of software development from design and architecture to production
- Knowledge of effective test-driven development and testing frameworks
- Strong presentation skills, particularly impromptu via a whiteboard
- Experience with the Hadoop and Apache ecosystem (Cloudera, HBase, Hive, MR, Spark, Spark Streaming, Storm, Nifi)
- Proficient in Pentaho
- Experience committing to (or involvement with) open source development projects is desired but not required
- Previous experience in property and auto insurance is an asset
- This role can be at our Kitchener or Toronto location
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document. The posting will close at midnight on the deadline date; in order to successfully apply, please ensure your application is submitted by 11:59 p.m. the day before the deadline.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.