Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Digital transformers needed!
Does rapid iteration, experimentation and curiosity fuel your purpose? Do you want to be part of our mission to make decisions easier and lives better for our customers and employees?
Manulife / John Hancock is on a journey to become a customer obsessed, digital leader. We’re transforming and we need you.
Who are you?
- You obsess about customers, seeking ways to listen, engage and act for their benefit
- You think big, with a constant curiosity to discover ways to use an agile mindset and enable the business to achieve its outcomes
- You thrive in teams, believing getting it done together drives innovation
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters
- You do what is right, working with integrity and speaking out when needed
- You share your humanity, building a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone
Intermediate Full Stack Engineer
The GB Sponsor Insights and Underwriting Technology Support Team is looking for a highly motivated individual with a passion for providing solid business solutions. The Intermediate Full Stack Engineer is a critical role within the business unit developing solutions for a variety of customers across departments.
The Intermediate Full Stack Engineer has the responsibility to lead the analysis, creation, development, and the maintenance of new and existing critical Manulife Group Benefits Underwriting applications. The individual will also be responsible for supporting various applications that are critical to daily activities. Finally, the Intermediate Full Stack Engineer will support the Client Reporting, Underwriting, and Pricing areas to develop and implement software applications. These various tools will be used to enhance business technology projects and develop/enhance annual business planning processes/models to support the execution of the divisional business strategy.
As the Intermediate Full Stack Engineer, you will:
- Design & program integrated application requirements and present them in a concise way that adds value and meets the high-quality reporting standards of Manulife Group Benefits
- Develop scalable and maintainable web applications. Products may include user interfaces, integrations with web services using .net and .net core.
- Work closely with Lead Development Architect to drive innovative solutions to meet business needs
- Participate in an agile delivery model in partnership with various product enablement teams
- Collaborate with the Development team to uncover pain points and opportunities to accelerate the delivery of new business value through platforms and software
- Proven experience leading strategies and projects in a complex business and marketing environment
- Ability to work as part of a team to solve technical problems
- Work with the Development team to recommend and implement technology functions/solutions to help drive business strategy and create process efficiencies
- Proactively looking for new and unique opportunities to streamline and consolidate reporting effectiveness by questioning traditional assumptions
- Develop and negotiate project plans for delivering the MIS and project manage the creation, development & delivery of the MIS through all the phases of the Project Life Cycle while managing project scope.
- Provide maintenance and enhancement of existing applications and end-user support
- Develop tools/utilities/MIS to support the activities of the Sponsor Insights and Underwriting Technology Support Team
You will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
- 5+ Years of experience in a Programmer/Application Developer type role
- University Degree, College Diploma or equivalent working experience
- Superior programming knowledge such as .net, SQL, C#, ETL, React, NodeJS, ISAM and/or similar technologies
- In-depth knowledge of database application development using Microsoft SQL Server including SSIS and SSRS.
- Knowledge of web services such as WebAPI would be an asset.
- Superior analytical skills and good understanding of the Project Management Life Cycle
- Excellent negotiation skills and prioritization skills
- Highly motivated and driven, able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Balances business and technical issues to develop effective solutions
- Solution oriented and demonstrated judgment and decision-making skills
- Attention to accuracy and detail is critical
- Strong team player with a high commitment to quality work and service
- Ability to develop positive internal business relationships and contacts
- Strong mathematical skills
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other Software Engineering best practices to accelerate the delivery and quality of new features
- Eagerness to learn emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next
- A capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable you to manage through the creative process
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes to engineering leadership
What we bring
- A bold ambition and set of goals to drive transformation in our industry
- A mission for “Decisions made easier. Lives made better.”
- A leadership team dedicated to your growth and success
- Our best. Every day.
- Learn more about us here (https://www.manulife.com/en/careers/why-join-us.html)
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of June 30, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$877 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.