Communitech was founded in 1997 by a group of entrepreneurs committed to making Waterloo Region a global innovation leader. At the time it was crazy talk, but somehow this community managed to pull it off. Today, Communitech is a public-private innovation hub that supports a community of more than 1400 companies — from startups to scale-ups to large global players.
Communitech helps tech companies start, grow and succeed in three distinct ways.
- Communitech is a place – the center of gravity for entrepreneurs and innovators. A clubhouse for building cool shit and great companies.
- Communitech delivers programs – helping companies at all stages with access to capital, customers and talent. We are here to help them grow and innovate.
- Communitech partners in building a world-leading ecosystem – making sure we have all the ingredients (and the brand) to go from a small startup to a global giant.
We’re looking to add some amazing people to this team. People who believe in the Communitech mission and are willing to do what it takes to help our members succeed. If you think big, but are always willing to push a broom, then we’d love to hear from you. Wonder what it’s like to work at Communitech? Watch this video! https://www.communitech.ca/corporate-stuff/careers/
The Director of People & Culture will empower the company culture through the staff and community at large. Often this is accomplished through leading by example, whether washing the dirtiest dishes or connecting two like-minded members, acknowledging positive team member work, or even identifying bad culture and putting things back on track, because no community is perfect, right?
We seek a team player who can bring a fresh perspective to talent acquisition, onboarding, employee relations, performance management, organizational development, compensation management, reward and recognition programs and learning and development initiatives with a willingness to take an active role in the development and implementation of HR initiatives. Your willingness to learn our business and understand our eco-system, and to tackle and own the day-to-day tasks along with other senior level responsibilities will be critical in this role. Your creative ideas and suggestions can come to life, as you tackle issues while displaying your solutions-oriented personality.
- Provide leadership of HR function, operational support and for facilitating a business partnership approach
- Maintain and be a catalyst for company culture
- Act as an advisor to people leaders
- Develop vision and strategy for attracting and retaining best-in-class team members
- Develop and manage the onboarding and off boarding plans for employees
- Revise and manage the company performance management program
- Lend insight to compensation discussions for employees and candidates
- Oversee and manage all HR related employee questions/concerns and continued staff satisfaction and cultural improvement
- Provide leadership and coaching to managers and employees on key workplace matters such as performance management, employee relations, and employee development
- Create, implement and update company best practices and company culture documents
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- 8-10+ years experience in HR, managing teams or matrixed HR projects
- Ability to coach, mentor, and develop staff in their career paths
- Strong cultural fit is key – can balance agility and process
- Strong recruiting skills and experience in HR generalist topics
- Excellent communication and influence abilities at all levels of the organization
- Resourceful, highly-evolved problem-solving skills
- Values collaboration and open-mindedness
- Exudes a positive and energetic tone
- Adaptable and accountable
- Ability to seamlessly manage diverse perspectives, personalities and agendas
- Ability to anticipate needs, diagnose problems and recommend solutions
Sound like you? Send us your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants in advance; however only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be kept confidential. Communitech is a diverse and inclusive environment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodations to candidates requesting them throughout the recruitment process.