Smile is the largest provider of reward programs in the world. We reward tens of millions of people every year, and power rewards programs for thousands of businesses around the world. We’ve got big scaling plans in 2019 and beyond - we need amazing talent to achieve our goals and you get to be the one to find them and bring them to Smile!
You'll be helping us create new ways to get online businesses to excite their customers. We're looking for Data Engineers who love to work smart and not always reinvent the wheel. You will play an integral part in developing and impacting the various ways our customers experience and use our product.
A little more about the Smile Development team:
The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We work in fixed-length build cycles that are punctuated by cool down weeks, where we focus on learning, architecture, and platform health. We ship early and often, using feature flags to get our code in the hands of end-users as soon as possible. We also rely on data, user research, and product feedback to make and shape important features and decisions. Our team works with Rails, Postgresql and Redis on the backend, and the saviour that is Ember.js on the front-end - all hosted on Heroku so we can focus on shipping a great product. We use Github, Slack, and CircleCI to communicate efficiently and ship code every day.
- Determining what data to gather to inform problem definition, problem-solving, and opportunity discovery
- Thinking about the big picture to develop our longer-term data strategy
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Developing models to gauge the health of our merchants' individual rewards programs
- Determining important customer actions and aggregate customer data to track, and how to best manage it
- Uncovering opportunities for improvement or development of features in our product
- Using our large dataset of rewards program & customer behaviour data to generate industry-leading reports and research publications
- Working with our Product Team in support of our largest clients to recommend new rewards program techniques and structure, as well as advising on ongoing improvements for their programs
What we’re seeking:
You're an interesting mix - you love writing code, but you're also a bit of a data junkie. You can think about problems in a broad business context, determine what data is needed to analyze the problem, do the dirty work of finding & sifting through the data, then code solutions to solve the core problem or determine the best resolution. You love a challenge and aren't afraid to tackle big, messy projects.
You have some experience:
- Approaching open-ended situation sets of requirements and coming up with a plan of action
- Working with large data sets, and choosing the best tools to do so
- Building models to simulate, predict, and evaluate simple & complex systems at scale
- Exploring and segmenting customer behaviour data to uncover problems and opportunities (nice-to-have)
What’s it like to work at Smile.io?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind - from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.