Vice President, Advanced & Emerging Technologies
Based in Guelph, Ontario, OCAS is an independent not-for-profit corporation that provides pathways and support to help over 200,000 individuals each year take their first step toward a brighter future through its partnership with Ontario’s public colleges. As a member of the province’s thriving tech hub, technology, innovation, and quality shared services are at the heart of OCAS’ business and success.
Over the years, OCAS’s suite of services have expanded to include domestic and international application services, college-branded application technologies, Tier 1 customer support, applied research, and more. With an eye on the horizon, OCAS continues to seek new means and opportunities, improvements, efficiencies, and service innovations fueled by technology and collaboration.
A great place to work, OCAS is proud to have been recognized as one of Waterloo Region’s Top Employers for the fourth consecutive year, and has been named a 2019 Employee Recommended Workplace by the Canada-wide Morneau-Shepell / Globe and Mail direct survey of employees.
The VP of Advanced & Emerging Technologies is a groundbreaking, future-forward role for OCAS, reporting directly to our President & CEO Karen Creditor. As technology continues to drive innovation in the education ecosystem, we’re looking for someone with natural curiosity, long-term vision, and a proven passion for advanced and emerging technologies, who can ensure we stay focused on possibilities we’re only just beginning to imagine.
Operating in the high-impact, forward-looking college ecosystem, you’ll work alongside the most innovative minds in public-private collaboration. Fueled by your proven technical background, you’ll chart our course into the world of analytics, security, machine learning, blockchain, collaboration, and more, and will influence our path forward across this entire range of technology innovation.
In this newly created role, you’ll have freedom to explore, create, invent, and prototype, translating technology vision into actionable pathways that empower collaborative solutions to current and future challenges. Your desire to network across geographies and sectors, building deep and productive relationships, will fuel your technical creativity and benefit you as you build an emerging team. All of this you’ll do as part of the connected, collaborative, and supportive Executive team at the helm of our growing entrepreneurial social enterprise – where values like the health and wellbeing of our organization and the commitment to doing meaningful work are always at the forefront.
At OCAS, we believe strongly that what we do every day truly matters. In ways big and small, we make a difference in the lives of hundreds of thousands of individuals every year as they pursue their futures in postsecondary education. As VP of Advanced & Emerging Technologies, you’ll have an opportunity to help us shape the continued convergence of technology and education in those personal journeys – and if you’re up for that challenge and adventure, we look forward to meeting you.
Key Leadership Priorities
- Demonstrate proven, confident, polished, and creative leadership, with the ability to “connect-the-dots” among disparate technologies, partners, and opportunities in a fun and engaging way.
- Uncover and investigate technology opportunities that can be applied and leveraged by both OCAS and our college ecosystem partners.
- Take an active role in continuing to raise the profile and utilization of technology in the college system and across geographies.
- Actively build dynamic relationships and partnerships across the technology and education sectors.
- Get hands-on with technology as needed to demonstrate leadership and competence, and to prove out concepts and prototypes, earning respect as someone who truly understands the convergence of the business of post-secondary education and what it takes to create and deploy technology innovations.
- Alongside OCAS’ President & CEO and the rest of the executive team, engage with stakeholders as a confident and informed face and voice of OCAS.
- As a member of the Senior Executive team, contribute both strategically and creatively, in all areas of the business.
- Provide leadership that empowers and mentors, while demonstrating collaboration, integrity, and sound judgment.
- Support and contribute to the OCAS “fun and effective” organizational culture and work environment.
Qualifications & Attributes
- Experience with change management, managing complex technical and people changes
- Experience in Engineering or technical innovation
- Excellent verbal, written, and formal presentation, communication, and collaboration skills
- Ability to turn new technology ideas into insights, plans and recommendations
- Results driven, with the ability to understand the complex relationships between organizations, college-ecosystem, and the ever-changing technology environment
Resumes and cover letters stating qualifications should be submitted to:
While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.