MANAGER, SOFTWARE PROGRAMS
At Alert Labs, we are passionate about saving natural resources, protecting our customers’ properties from water damage, and improving the operational efficiencies of cities, school boards, restaurants, and insurance companies.
We build affordable, simple to deploy and reliable IoT (Internet of Things) sensor networks targeted at protecting our customers’ homes and properties. We bring the benefits of IoT to customers of all technical levels. By being thoughtful and elegant in our design, our products are friendly and easy for anyone to use.
We value results, not hours worked. We offer a flexible work schedule that allows you to maintain a healthy work/life balance without sacrificing your personal life or delivering ordinary products. We believe that innovation comes from every member of the team and that the best designs combine technical skills with creativity to achieve great results.
We are looking for talented, energetic technology enthusiasts to join our team. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, and your skills match the outline below, please apply!
Location: Are located in vibrant and fun downtown Kitchener. There is easy access by transit, bike, bus, train, or car.
Other Perks: We keep a cupboard stocked with free snacks and a fridge full of drinks. We have regular happy hours (with a wide range of options) and are occasionally visited by Modi, the office dog and Chief Morale Officer. We also offer a benefits package from your first day, with a flexible vacation policy.
Job Description: Manager, Software Programs
As a Program Manager in the Engineering team, you'll be responsible for the development team working on our mobile and web-based platform that works with our fleet of IoT devices to monitor property health. We are looking for a manager who has experience working in an agile development environment with small to medium-sized development teams. Your job will be to optimize the performance of the development team - keeping the development backlog groomed, working with Product Management, UX and QA and removing roadblocks for the development team.
What are some of the tasks you will do?
- Work with Product Management and User Experience folks to convert customer needs into user stories and tasks for the development team
- Drive the development process through sprint meetings, bug scrubs and prioritization meetings keeping accurate track of the team’s progress and velocity
- Create and manage a development plan including estimation of effort, building roadmaps, and tracking team success
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the software team, providing coaching, leadership and guidance
- Determine where mentoring and training are required to maintain a high performing, well-rounded team
- Communicate status of software projects both with Engineering as a whole and outside the team
What skills or experience do you need to have?
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field
- 5+ years experience with Jira and running Agile sprint teams
- Proven relevant experience in software project management successfully delivering quality software to customers on time
- Ability to see the big picture strategy while also providing technical and managerial guidance
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong project planning and coordination
- Experience with machine learning projects
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Nerdy T-shirts