Senior Platform Reliability Engineer
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Do you have a passion for application reliability? Do you like to innovate? Do you feel accomplishment in optimizing and transforming applications and platforms? If you do, join Manulife and help us achieve our BOLD ambition: To be the most digital, customer-centric global company in our industry.
Our Canadian Division Technology – Application Support & Management organization is growing our Reliability Engineering team to do just that. We are looking to hire Platform Reliability Engineers to work with our divisional project and support organizations (DevOps) to ensure that our applications are reliable, responsive and promote an excellent customer experience. Our Platform Reliability Engineers help these teams to deliver and operate quality software that adds value for our customers, enabling us to deliver faster at scale. The customer is at the focus of everything we do with millions of end users relying on our products daily.
We believe in the value of empowering engineers and developers with reliability monitoring resources to solve critical problems for the future of the business, which is why we need you.
Our current opportunities are available in Kitchener/Waterloo.
As an ASM Platform Reliability Engineer, you will:
- Support our Solution Delivery organizations to develop resilient and highly-scalable applications, working closely with our operations staff to support these applications while maintaining a strong focus on application reliability
- Champion, promote, and deploy the effective use of leading-edge application monitoring and AIOps-based machine learning tools
- Facilitate monitoring and custom instrumentation across our business-critical applications, including the consultation and management of agent-based, agentless, synthetic and scripted monitoring technologies
- Address incidents and problems within the platforms, with rotational accountability for on-call support
- Collaborate with platform and software engineers, site reliability engineers, product managers and engineering leadership to uncover pain points and opportunities to accelerate the delivery of new value through software
- Prototype and build new capabilities to increase the leverage of platform operations and security
- Deliver an exceptional user experience to our engineers with a focus on reliability
You will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and comfort working within a rapidly changing startup environment; you love the challenge of working on a small team and being part of a larger movement to change the reliability engineering culture of an enterprise
- Advance knowledge skillset and divisional adoption of monitoring platform and machine learning stacks, promoting their effective use and enable data-driven decision making
- Understanding of distributed cloud platforms through configuration, deployment, and lifecycle management automation tools
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps principles, test-driven development, continuous integration, and other approaches to accelerate the delivery of new features
- Experimenting with emerging technologies and understanding how they will impact what comes next. Ensuring that the end-to-end pipeline is effectively instrumented for reliability
- A capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes across all levels in the organization
Last year Manulife / John Hancock spent over $1 billion on technology. You will be working with:
- New Relic APM, CA APM, Dynatrace Synthetics and Microfocus APM
- AIOps technologies such as Moogsoft
- Elasticsearch, Logstash & Kibana (ELK Stack)
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry and other components supporting a highly-automated global engineering platform
- ITIL tools such as ServiceNow
- xMatters notification software
- Virtual infrastructure running Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows operating systems
- Markup languages such as HTML, CSS, Swift and/or similar technologies
- Scripting languages such as PowerShell and Python
- Open source! We’re accelerating our delivery of world-class experiences, embracing open source technologies helping us get there. Any experience with open source is very attractive to us!
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2018, we had more than 34,000 employees, over 82,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 28 million customers. As of March 31, 2019, we had over $1.1 trillion (US$849 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $29.4 billion in payments to our customers.
Our principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States are where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.