UX Research & Design Strategist
Digital transformers needed!
Does rapid iteration, experimentation and curiosity fuel your purpose? Do you want to be part of our mission to make decisions easier and lives better for our customers and employees? Manulife / John Hancock is on a journey to become a customer obsessed, digital leader. We’re transforming and we need you.
Imagine a place where adults are not afraid to play with Lego. Where practically all surfaces are made as canvases for your ideas. Welcome to Manulife’s Research, Empathy and Design Lab! But you can call it the RED Lab. We are part of the Manulife Innovation team whose mandate is to assist with researching, designing and prototyping human-centered solutions as we transform our 130-year-old Canadian business.
About the role
Our mission is to “Make Lives Better, Decisions Easier” for all Canadians. The Research & Design Strategist will help discover, understand, and communicate the emotional, social and functional desires of our customers within the context of our health & wealth strategy. Regardless of formfactor or device, this role will make deliberate design decisions backed by user research, behavioural science and modern interaction methods. We’re looking for someone who is part researcher and part designer, who is driven by curiosity, and an eagerness to solve important problems that matter in each of our lives.
- Are you a creative who is analytic? Or an analytic who is creative?
- Do you believe in and champion the value of qualitative user research?
- Do you love designing experiences that help and delight people?
- Are you excited to influence and convince your peers to look at the world through your empathy-tinted worldview?
- Do you get excited by the idea of advocating for the value of human-centered design in a large organization?
- Do you understand the importance of discovering the true job-to-be-done?
- Are you comfortable with prototyping and interface-building tools like Sketch, InVision,
- Illustrator or any other tools to bring your design concepts to life? Are you always looking out for new tools that can communicate your ideas better?
- Do you believe that health & wealth services need to be designed better for human experiences?
Then RED Lab wants to talk to you!
How you will contribute
- Take the lead in discovery and ideation sessions that help to set the overall user experience strategy for new initiatives.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct user value-prop/jobs-to-be-done analysis, conceptual modelling, interaction design, concept prototypes and usability research.
- Design and specify interaction concepts for multiple form factors like mobile devices and voice, using participatory and iterative design techniques like observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, design sprints, rapid prototyping, and other forms of requirements discovery.
- Be comfortable with producing and evangelizing design artifacts like personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts, design prototypes, and design specifications.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, user journeys, and design rationale both verbally and visually with a strong bend towards storytelling.
- Mentor and educate co-ops, peers, and senior managers on human-centered design principles.
- Be an active voice for evangelizing Manulife in various Innovation and UX communities such as Fluxible, uxWaterloo, DesignX, etc.
What success looks like
Success in this role means delivering results and excitement through team work and a relentless focus on what’s best for Manulife’s customers and the organization. Success is walking into RED Lab every work day eager to learn about emerging trends in technology and human factors. Success ultimately is making our customer’s lives better, and their decisions easier.
What we bring
- A bold ambition and set of goals to drive transformation in our industry
- A mission for “Decisions made easier. Lives made better.”
- A leadership team dedicated to your growth and success
- Our best. Every day.
- Learn more about us here (https://www.manulife.com/en/careers/why-join-us.html)
If this describes you, apply to our posting and reach out to our AVP Innovation & RED Lab directly, firstname.lastname@example.org