Position: Applications Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Division: OTTO Motors
Type: Full Time
Education: Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical, Systems Engineering Bachelor or Diploma
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s industrial and research divisions: OTTO Motors and Clearpath Robotics.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
You're excited about the role that robots will play in the future, and intrigued by the challenge of joining a young company in this high-growth market. You have skills and experience that you know can make a difference with the Clearpath team, whether we're looking for them or not. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems.
Clearpath's product and service offerings are designed to make sure that our customers have to care as little as possible for the finer details of robots. We offer a wide degree of customization and support services to help our users stay focused on their research, experimentation, or production enhancements. We are seeking an Applications Engineer in our Industrial (OTTO Motors) division to be constantly learning new technology, supporting the development of new system concepts, and helping our application engineering team deliver better and faster designs, concepts and proposals to clients so they can get started with their new robot tools.
You will undertake a wide variety of tasks in various aspects of engineering, primarily in early-stage concept design, development, cost estimating as well as ongoing support of our standard product lines and custom equipment. This will range from enhancing our conceptualizing tools, to assisting technology investigation and aiding in developing concepts for our potential and existing clients.
You will assist in the design, review, scrutinizing and eventual testing. You may be required to take robots for walks, and are able to cope with the questioning stares of onlookers.
Additional tasks may include:
- Assist in concept development, cost development, proposal and quote generation.
- Able to collect customer needs through site visits or virtual sessions and present these in a concise list of requirements.
- Aid in drafting content for customer-facing documents and presentations.
- Modeling, drafting, and specification of custom parts and assemblies.
- Sourcing and qualification of new mechanical components and systems.
- Interacting with our development team as necessary to come up with new system configurations.
- Performing basic discrete event and physical world simulation to evaluate and/or de-risk concepts prior to implementation.
- Developing templates and contribute to tool creation as well as process improvement
- Developing demos with our products and assisting Sales & Marketing in demonstrating OTTO Motor’s products and capabilities
- Using your expertise to assist our engineering services group with a more complex system concept and implementation plan development.
- Take an active part in developing test plans for new products and at times implementing those tests.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and manage deadlines.
- Solid modeling and drafting advanced experience (preferably SolidWorks)
- Able to quickly grasp the fundamentals of common sensors and actuators used for robotics.
- Avid self-learner.
- You document all elements of your design and concepts and are able to communicate in the most efficient way to a large number of stakeholders.
- You understand software enough to use it and carry complex conversations with Software developers.
- Fearless in asking questions while thinking you are the only one who does not understand.
- You see block diagrams everywhere and speak the language.
- Team player, good communicator, able to communicate ideas accurately without speaking much.
- Able to cope with sudden jarring changes in projects and priorities.
- Familiarity with Linux, ROS, Python, C++.
- Familiarity with PLC and Ladder Logic programming.
- Familiarity with unit testing, system-level testing, and continuous integration.
- Experience with building robots or other computer-controlled vehicles.
- Experience with the control of mobile robots.
- Experience having parts manufactured to your specifications.
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1 (844) 733-6886.