Director of Software Development
Athena Software is a leading global provider of SaaS Case Management and Customer Information solutions for diverse health and social service organizations in 15 countries around the world. We are a passionate, customer-centric scale-up based in Waterloo, Ontario entering our 18th year of business on a trajectory to double in size and reach.
Building on years of steady success with a growing global client base, we are implementing an ambitious new sales and marketing strategy as a key driver of our company-wide strategic reorganization and focus.
Athena is seeking a highly motivated, collaborative, and technically experienced Director of Software Development with the ability to drive change and make things happen. You are passionate about building quality products, building a strong team and building meaningful software products. Managing projects through the SDLC, process improvement in an agile environment and following through to release are second nature to you. Reporting to the CTO and being part of our management team, Athena is looking for a rising leader to help steward our software development team on our path of growth and scaling.
About the Job
- Lead an experienced team of software developers by providing leadership, guidance and enabling your team to shine and deliver to their full potential.
- Work closely with the Product and Architecture teams to create, innovative and deliver on Athena’s roadmap within our regular release cycles.
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with other teams.
- Lead change in seeking out continuous improvements and champion the adoption of best practices in our SDLC.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, ownership, innovation, trust, and the continuous drive toward excellence to promote teams to be empowered to produce high quality results on schedule.
- Accountable for maintaining a high standard of product quality and code health while shedding legacy code in the process.
- Manage, coach and mentor the team in onboarding, retention and their professional development.
- Develop, maintain and publish project KPI’s that track project quality, delivery and predictability.
- Establish regular communication with the team and key stakeholders to provide project status updates.
- Lead and plan the day-to-day execution of development, while looking out into the future to ensure align of your teams’ capabilities with our corporate strategy and direction.
- Identify risks, gaps or blind spots in your teams’ resources, skills, tooling, supporting information systems and action to close those gaps.
Who You Are
- 7-10 years’ experience in software development with, desirably, a minimum of 3 years’ in a leadership role.
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering degree or equivalent.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and deliver on time, on quality and on budget.
- Solid understanding of web applications, JS frameworks, and relational database.
- Experience with our stack (Java, PostgreSQL, Redis, Resin Apache along with AWS services).
- Background in continuous integration (CI) and the implementation of CI practices into the SDLC.
- Highly collaborative in seeking the right solution within a cross functional teams.
Does this sound like you? If so, please apply with Resume and Cover Letter to the link provided.
Athena Software provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at 866.806.6014 x312 and/or human.resources [AT] athenasoftware.net.