Senior Application Developer - Community Portals
Wawanesa Mutual Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada with $3 billion in annual revenues and assets of more than $9 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,500 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders through nine regional offices and 41 service offices in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
Working under moderate supervision, this full stack Senior Application Developer job opportunity will be part of our Edge Application Delivery team and contributes to Wawanesa success by maintaining, supporting and enhancing our community web portal.
The Edge applications are those that provide functionality externally. In addition to externally focused application delivery, the Edge team also provides support for Wawanesa's digital strategy.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a small agile scrum team model that facilitates rapid design, development and implementation of application changes that embodies a passion for continuous improvement and test-driven development. You will have experience in application design and development and have relevant technical proficiency with programming languages, tools and frameworks such as Java 1.8, JQuery, React, SQL, REST, SOAP, GIT, Eclipse IDE. Preferably, you will also have knowledge/experience with Jenkins, Selenium, Mulesoft, Content Management Systems such as dotCMS, or exposure to Salesforce.
This opportunity can be performed remotely and based out of any major Canadian city, preferably near one of Wawanesa’s regional office in Winnipeg, MB or Toronto, ON.
- Design, develop, and test software.
- Prepare technical specifications from requirements.
- Ensure successful completion of developer assignments by estimating and tracking progress of assigned work.
- Maintain the operation of business systems and applications.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve application incidents.
- Participate in planning activities.
- Create and update relevant documentation.
- Improve upon and ensure the adherence to the established practices, processes, and guidelines.
- Keep current with relevant technologies.
- Mentor other Application Developers
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Post-secondary degree or diploma in software development or equivalent experience.
- 4 years practical experience performing an application development role building software using current programming languages and working with relational database systems and structure query languages.
- Experience with agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum, Kanban)
- Detail oriented with analytical and problem-solving skills to recognize and identify issues and take proper action to resolve them.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner with style fitting for the audience and message.
- Strong planning and organizing skills, with the ability to develop and implement plans by prioritizing and multi-tasking.
- Good leadership skills, with the ability to facilitate high team morale by encouraging and coaching team members.
- Effective decision-making skills, with the ability to direct team members to achieve goals through clear instruction.
- Experience using software development tools, such as JIRA, Confluence, Source Code Management is considered an asset.
- Experience with Unix; Windows; Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server; Java is considered an asset.
- Certifications in relevant technology or processes is considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in Insurance industry is considered an asset.
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.