- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Position: Industrial Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 5 years of experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, logistics, or business management
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s industrial and research divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
We are looking for an industrial engineer who is passionate about upholding the manufacturing process to ensure that we are optimized for maximum productivity, quality, and efficiency. In this role, you are a master guru of organizing and simplifying large and complex processes and making these more lean and efficient.
- Create and Review internal manufacturing processes for efficiency and quality improvements
- Create and Improve visual work instructions and production database (serialization, test results, etc.)
- As needed, 8-D problem solving and corrective action management
- Review engineering drawings for manufacturability in the ECO phase and provide feedback to the design teams.
- Manage implementation of ECNs in the production environment
- Review and correct manufacturing BOMs as required
- Organizational change management to implement new or revised processes
- Primary Production contact for transitioning of new products from R&D to Production
- Ensures required deliverables (BOM, drawings, etc.) are brought to Production accurately, in a timely fashion.
- Provide DFM feedback to R&D team during design reviews
- Provide tooling recommendations to Engineering teams
- Work with our suppliers to design and improve packaging and handling standards
- Plan and coordinate facilities layout and material flow improvements
Additional tasks may include:
- Assist in designing packaging materials for our products
- Specification, design, build/outsource, improvement of production test fixtures, and material handling carts
- Giving our hardware engineers grey hairs by breaking their brand-new prototypes
- Mentoring and assisting with the supervision of junior members of the team
- Participating in Continuous Improvement and 5S activities
You are the person on the production floor who sees an assembly process and thinks ‘with this simple tool, we could do this better’. By the time you make it to your desk, you’ve already got a concept sketched out. You can easily envision assembly steps in your head, know when these will cause issues in a production environment and are confident enough to take these recommendations to the R&D team. Quality is your middle name. You may not enjoy working in Excel spreadsheets for lengthy periods of time, but you do revel in the outcome of an extremely accurate, well organized, worksheet.
- Electromechanical prototyping and assembly
- Some basic test fixture programming experience and use of Linux (C++/Python/VBA)
- Microsoft Excel
- Practical understanding of cable assembly, PCBA quality standards and common defects
- Lean manufacturing experience
- Experience in packaging design
- BOM management in an ERP environment
- Experience with the mechanical design of basic fixtures and tooling
Nice to have:
- 5S methodology
- 6-sigma training
- Any of IPC-7711, IPC-7721, IPC-A-600, IPC-9121, IPC-610 training or equivalent
- Hobbies that involve the assembly of electronics
- Experience using Epicor
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.