- Economical Insurance
- Job Function
- Design & UX
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Enterprise (500+)
Are you a talented developer with digital solution design experience? Are you looking for a positive work environment that promotes quality, innovation and teamwork?
If you answered yes, we have just the opportunity for you!
The Full Stack Developer is a core member of the Digital Development team, responsible for delivering enhancements and supporting maintenance of the digital solution for Sonnet.
Sonnet is our direct-to-consumer channel, changing how Canadians feel about insurance, and that means changing how we think about technology too. Sonnet is Canada’s smart new insurance done completely online, and we are strengthening our Toronto Sonnet team.
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things. We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the creation and testing of end-to-end detailed web applications with overall accountability for the technical and solution design, including front and back end components (RESTful APIs following microservices architecture)
- Be accountable for development deliverables and providing solution options, understanding impact to costs and future business needs
- Advancing development and design practices through processes and tools, setting development and design standards for digital solutions
- Accountable for complex application development and support, including programming and integration code
- Provide deep subject matter expertise and define future direction in one or more technical areas including: pair programming, test driven development, automated testing, continuous integration, continuous delivery
- Proactively identify technical debt and seek ways to improve via refactoring of codes
- Develop technical designs that support maintenance and support requirements
- Verify that solution documentation is complete, accurate, auditable and traceable to business and/or systems requirements
- Participate in the translation of requirements into a story maps and/or user stories
- Support the team to obtain stakeholder buy-in and acceptance for application and technical designs
- Collaborate with Technical Leads, business stakeholders and system integration partners throughout the development and delivery lifecycle, to ensure that the code meets technical design frameworks, requirements and best practices
- Ensure that design and development knowledge is codified, monitored, tracked and managed
- Adhere to existing processes/standards, business technology architecture, risk and production capacity guidelines
Your Skills and Experience
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent program
- 5+ years of experience designing, building and testing large web application
- Experience working in a Scrum or Agile based environment
- Advanced knowledge of build management tools: Maven, YARN, NPM, WebPack, Docker
- Experience in building RESTful APIs following Micro-Services Architecture
- Experience working with GraphQL and REST web services
- Knowledge of Node.js and supporting frameworks
- Knowledge of Ruby is an asset.
- Proficient understanding of code versing tools such as Github, Bitbucket
- Strong experience in applying design patterns, object-oriented analysis and design, service-oriented architecture, n-tier architecture and leading-edge coding practices such as clean code and refactoring
- Ability to thrive in a faced-paced environment
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.