- Waterloo, ON
- Job Function
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Enterprise (500+)
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
We're not who you think we are.
What if I told you that Manulife, a financial company, has a fun, laid back work environment with flexible hours, jeans, and work from home arrangements? What if I told you we're working towards modern tools and processes including DevOps and tools like Jira, Jenkins, and Maven? What if I told you we are striving to innovate and we’re growing?
No, you couldn't possibly be talking about Manulife!
But I am! We're not some old, stuffy insurance company. We're a large company with lots of young talent going through a transformation to be not just a financial company, but a technology company.
Right now we are actively searching for a talented individual to join our team as a Back End Software Engineer.
What Tools/Technology Would You be Using?
Here are some of the tools that we currently use and the stack we are implementing:
- Java/J2EE for application development
- WebSphere products
- Spring Boot, Spring Cloud and Core Spring frameworks
- JUnit, Cucumber, BDD
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Oracle for databases
- Jira for task management
- Concourse, Jenkins, Maven, and SonarQube for a DevOps chain
- GitLab for source control
What Work Would I be Doing?
We're looking for individuals to complete our team. We are growing, and we’re looking for someone to learn and grow with us! Your responsibilities would include:
- Designing, coding, unit testing and integrating new features and functionality as defined by the PO and team
- Applying creative problem solving that bring software designs to life.
- You will build best in class apps, APIs and data solutions to drive projects
- Promoting agile principles and methodology
- Participating in ideation and brainstorming sessions to devise creative and disruptive digital solutions. We need and value fresh ideas!
- Performing various investigative "Spikes" in order to mitigate technical uncertainty and risk
- Assisting in the development of automated test harnesses as necessary to ensure delivery of high quality code
- Updating progress daily through the tracking tool (Jira) or Kanban board
- Completing and overseeing completion of any required documentation required e.g. deployment, maintenance, support and business needs
- Participating in the weekly Look Ahead meetings to assist the Product Owner to refine the Product Backlog including providing initial estimates
- Enjoy your job!
Am I Right for the Job?
We're looking for passionate, motivated individuals with Intermediate/Senior level skills (5-7+ years of experience) to join our team's exciting journey as we grow, pioneer, and innovate. Experience with any or all of the tools/technology we use is a huge plus, but don't let one of those list items deter you! If you're excited by the notion of joining a team with learning agility and who likes to champion innovation, we want to hear from you!
Why is this job Important?
Our team helps to drive out and execute on a great banking experience for our customers. It’s banking, the way it should be. At Manulife Bank, we believe banking products are an integral part of every Canadians financial plan. As one of Canada's youngest banks, we are growing at an unprecedented rate and need people with the skills, energy and drive to maintain our leadership position as an "advisors bank."
What Will I Learn on this Job?
You will learn about working in a large organization, all the tools and technologies mentioned above (including DevOps!) and thanks to a supportive company with a culture of continuous learning and improvement, whatever else you want! Tell us what you want to learn and we'll help you get there. We have a diverse technology environment.
This is a full time permanent role located in Waterloo, Ontario.
What about Perks?
Manulife has lots of perks including, but not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Retirement Savings Accounts including a RPP (Pension Plan), RRSP (Retirement Savings Plan), and TFSA (Tax Free Savings account)
- Manulife Share Ownership Program with employer matching
- Customizable Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, and 100% of Mental Health expenses
- Financial support for ongoing training, learning, and education
- Wearing jeans to work every day
- An abundance of career paths and opportunities to advance
- A flexible work environment with flex hours, work from home arrangements and distributed teams
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people achieve their dreams and aspirations by putting customers' needs first and providing the right advice and solutions. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance, as well as wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2017, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 73,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving more than 26 million customers. As of December 31, 2017, we had over $1.04 trillion (US$829.4 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $26.7 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.