Are you interested in helping to secure and enable reliable operations of a nation's critical infrastructure? iS5 Communications develops products and solutions that do just that. Utilizing the iS5 designed secure networking and edge computing platform for Industry 4.0 and Industrial IoT applications, iS5 is developing innovative cybersecurity, industrial communications, big data, and AI/machine learning solutions for Smart Grids, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and other critical infrastructure industries. iS5 is opening a new innovation hub in Kitchener/Waterloo and is seeking individuals to help build the next generation solutions for iS5's global customer base.
With an initial team of 6-8 people, the focus of the innovation hub will be to develop new products and features and drive them to a proof-of-concept or minimal viable product stage. If you are familiar with the McKinsey horizon model, we are focused on the horizon 3 side. Successful projects will be handed off to our core product team to finalize any further integrations into our core products. The core team will provide primary support and maintenance going forward and then we’ll move onto the next project. Projects will range in size and scope and we will involve external resources as required. If prototyping and experimenting with various technologies is something that excites you, this might be a good fit for you. We are starting from scratch so there is lots to do and you can help shape what it looks like!
Responsibilities and Duties
Let’s get this straight from the start. There is no such thing as a perfect job description or a list of responsibilities that will state exactly what you will end up doing, especially for any role in this team. We will be building our team around the skill sets and strengths of the people we hire and will adapt accordingly. The below list is our starting point for the core skill sets we think we’ll need.
- Cybersecurity Expertise
- Embedded Development Expertise
- QA / Test Automation Expertise
- DevOps Expertise
Other nice-to-have's include:
- Knowledge of Networking Technologies and Protocols
- Web/Frontend Development Experience
- Backend Server Development Experience
- Hardware Development Experience
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning / Big Data Experience
- Agile Experience
- Start-up Experience
Similar to above, there are no hard requirements on your qualifications or experience. Everyone is unique so you just have to show us what you bring the table and help us understand why this will help us in the innovation team. The list below might be some of the typical qualifications or experience people have that we are interested in.
- Diploma/Bachelors/Masters/PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or other related discipline
- Experience in a start-up like environment or other type of position that your role required you to wear multiple hats and just help out where needed
- 5+ years of experience in a software/hardware related role
- Software development experience
- Security consulting experience
iS5 Communications Inc. is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights code. iS5 Communications Inc. will provide accommodations throughout all aspects of the recruitment process, upon request from candidates.