Java Developer - Web
Smart manufacturing starts with factory automation software
PEER Group® provides the largest portfolio of factory automation software products and services to high-volume manufacturers and equipment makers in the semiconductor, photovoltaics (PV), and electronics industries. We help lower the cost of automation for our customers by solving their most challenging equipment automation, data management, and process control problems.
As a group, we are focused on creating customer success while working in a supportive atmosphere filled with challenges, fun and food. Our workstations were created for ergonomic comfort with cube walls for times when we have to concentrate and huge whiteboards for when we need to collaborate. We like profit sharing and full disclosure Communications Meetings. We recognize the great people we grow by promoting from within.
Full Stack - Java Web Developer
Positions in Kitchener, ON available immediately
Suitable for talented intermediate level developers
Working as part of a project team, doing software development in the winner of the Best Place to Work awards, you will be involved in all phases of the software engineering process — from requirements gathering, functional specs and design to software development and system testing.
What’s the challenge?
- Travel isn’t currently required for this role, but being a dynamic company, you must be legally able to travel to the U.S. within one (1) year of your start date. Subsequent services projects you contribute to may require trips that range in duration from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
Elegant solutions to complex problems
- Engage with customers and work with your team to capture requirements, design, develop, code, and integrate applications for web and desktop deployments.
- Understand customer requirements and business logic to create functional and scalable API endpoints.
- UX expertise for creating intuitive, functional UI’s for a web-based product.
- Aptitude for crafting wire frame layouts at lightning speed.
- Obsessed with the details, adding professionally polish every aspect of the product’s visualizations.
Make sure it works
- Perform unit testing, support functional and integration testing on code and participate in bug fixes.
- Follow all code and documentation standards.
- Participate in installation and integration of software into the customer system.
- Troubleshooting issues reported from the customer site.
Become an expert
- Learn and utilize PEER Group’s connectivity, automation, and testing products along with the Semiconductor automation software standards.
- Acquire domain knowledge deploying solutions with factory business systems.
- Collaborating with other UI developers, software developers and QA team to create solutions.
- Collaborate with the customer development team to resolve production roadblocks.
- Managing change processes and creating alignment within teams and with customers.
What do you need to bring with you?
- Post-secondary education in a technical field (Bachelor of Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Software Programming Diploma, or similar).
- 3+ solid years of working experience as a full stack software developer and demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Proficient in API development using any Java web framework, and SQL based relational databases.
- Experience designing beautiful and functional user interfaces using Wire framing or Mock-up tools.
- Experience working with popular source control systems like TFS/Git/BitBucket on Windows.
Extraordinary Problem Solving!
- Mechanical aptitude as you will be developing for a highly scalable environment.
- Keen troubleshooting skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent English communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with customers and teammates face to face and remotely.
- High commitment to success, ability to multitask within tight deadlines, and a professional demeanor are assumed.
You like the excitement of being part of something new — bringing a new factory or a new tool into production. You enjoy the learning and the teamwork and the challenge of making a large project successful. You know that most good things happen as a result of a carefully managed plan — requirements gathering, sharing of information, commitment to a clear goal, coordinating and communicating the plan for delivery and acceptance — that leads to customer satisfaction.
You’re a problem solver. You have this amazing ability to figure out technology puzzles and get things to work. You pick up new knowledge and assimilate it into what you already know in a way that gives you an edge. When you have a tricky problem in your head, it doesn’t leave you until it’s solved.
You are able to understand other people’s pain – analyze their production loss in terms of time or money so you can make suggestions about how to make the best progress at solving their problem. You will have the opportunity to become an expert in PEER Group connectivity and automation products. You will grow and develop your knowledge of the semiconductor domain to become the go-to person when our customers are in difficulty.
You know that most good things happen as a result of a carefully managed plan—requirements gathering, sharing of information, commitment to a clear goal, coordinating and communicating the plan for delivery and acceptance—that leads to customer satisfaction.
We need your ability to jump on a learning curve, familiarize yourself with the problem space, the industry and the testing tools and get right into customer site work. Come and work in an environment where professionals have a chance to become experts; where you work in a small company environment, but deal in the big leagues. Come to PEER Group.
Please submit your resume by email. To fast track your application, please include an electronic copy of your transcripts with your application via e-mail to Janice Retterath. Visit our careers section for more information on applying to and interviewing with PEER Group.
About PEER Group
PEER Group is headquartered in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, with an office in Dresden, Germany. A privately-held company, PEER Group currently employs over 145 people worldwide.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of ability, qualifications, and performance. We welcome inquiries from everyone and celebrate diversity in our workplace. If you require accommodation in completing the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call HR at 519 749 9554. If you are contacted regarding this position, please advise HR of accommodation measures you may require during our interview process. Of course, we will address these matters with respect and confidentiality.