Software Programming / Modeling Specialists
Greenland International Consulting (Greenland) is seeking software programming and modeling specialist to join its collaborative teams partnering with the University of Guelph, University of Waterloo and University of Alberta, Canada as well as other U.S. and European collaborations.
As background, there is an explosive increase in demand for delivery of goods and services, complex communication and information, and real-time entertainment experiences. This high demand is driving the need for greater access and connectivity to the world around us such that the next generation of commercialization will be driven by data, business analytics and insights. Therefore, as an international (Canadian) award-winning environmental and water resources engineering and software development enterprise, Greenland understands there is significant opportunity for Ontario to establish leadership with Internet of Things (IoT) commercialization.
Given the increased public awareness of water management issues and the potential impacts of global climate change, Greenland has developed (over the past 15 years), new software tools to assist practitioners and policy makers with difficult decisions related to the planet's environmental challenges; including, a scarce supply of fresh water and quality. Greenland's niche software assets program has also involved the Province of Ontario and Federal Government. One of our flagship models includes CANWET, which is an Internet-based and GIS (open source) water budget, nutrient management, contaminant transport, Best Management Practices / Low Impact Development and climate change impact software package. Other proprietary platforms include ISWMS and THREATS, as well as other tools with Artificial Intelligence model capabilities. Greenland's toolbox details for social impact benefits can be found at http://www.grnland.com
The Province of Ontario (Canada) is a major innovator and exporter of water related technology. Greenland is further developing its data cloud & integrated analytical systems for global project applications. These Cumulative Effects Decision Support Systems were the first-ever Canadian cloud-based analytical platforms and have allowed Greenland to continue scaling its vertical market - ecosystem goods and services related to the protection of environmental ecosystems. Further commercialization of these tools has also expanded Greenland's consulting services teams with private, public and NGO sector organizations.
Suitable candidates must have an appropriate degree in Environmental Science, Geography, Engineering, Data Science, Computer Science or equivalent combination of an applied science education plus other relevant professional experience.
- Assist with developing decision support tools and web applications;
- Maintain the company’s other proprietary software tools in order to expand use in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
- 2-3 years of experience with GIS and GIS programming;
- Experience with UI/UX (user interface/experience) and Data Visualization, Git documentation and Python;
- Experience with Interactive Analytics, Dashboards and Plotting would be assets;
- Experience with AWS –Cloud Development Environment would be a key asset;
- Experience with water quality / quantity modelling and use of hydrologic and hydraulic models, such as OTTHYMO, HEC-HMS, SWMM and HEC Geo-RAS, would be assets;
- Experience with scripting using R statistical programming language would be an asset;
- Advanced understanding of SQL queries, views, and stored procedure development in support of application requirements;
- Knowledge of the following technologies: R, GRASS, PostGIS, PostgreSQL, QGIS, PHP, D3.js, Leaflet, Mapbox and Plotly are preferred; and,
- Knowledge of machine learning approaches and potential project applications.
- Organized and self-motivated individual capable of producing results and meeting deadlines;
- Refined analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written);
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues, associates and clients;
- Willingness to take constructive criticism and share ideas;
- Ability to effectively multi-task and work in a fast paced, high change environment;
- Good initiative and attention to detail; and,
- Expected to manage work with minimum supervision.
We offer a professional working environment and culture, as well as a competitive salary package. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Greenland is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. Greenland supports diversity, equity and workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes only and collected per the Freedom of Information (F.O.I.) and Protection of Privacy Act, 1987.