Junior Software Designer – Fall Term Co-op Placement
This role is a 4 to 8-month (co-op) work term for a candidate who resides in the Kitchener Waterloo area commencing on or near September 4th, 2019. The right candidate must be enrolled in a full-time program at a post-secondary institution (in relation to Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar), and is returning back to that full-time program upon the completion of the work term.
We are a dynamic high-tech design firm who specializes in leading-edge electronic product development. Our software team innovate, design and deliver next generation products for clients in emerging technology markets.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about working with new technologies, is driven, and is excited to apply their creative skills. We are a growing company that can have a great deal of impact with lots of exciting challenges.
Advantages of having your co-op work term at Fidus
- Cutting edge technology. As a Xilinx Premium Partner, Fidus is involved in assessing and implementing the newest technologies, often before they are released to market
- Ability to direct your career path, in the highly sought-after areas of High-Performance Computing
- High Speed Communication, and High-Resolution Video
- Flexible work hours
- Fully stocked kitchen offering complimentary lunches, snacks and beverages any time of the day
What does your day look like?
- Be a part of developing cool software and to help make things happen. For example: read sensors, process video, control industrial machinery
- Work with customers to help them understand what they need, and then make it work for them.
- Learn from colleagues across the business in: Software (of course) but also FPGA, and Hardware, design.
- Has the desire and interest in wanting to learn
- Demonstrates confidence and creativity
- Engages with technology and is able and willing to work through challenging problems when in doubt
- Mentally models systems and describes them “colorfully”
- Translates those mental models into software models with clear interfaces
- Prefers clean, readable code to 'clever' or 'optimized' code