Joy for you comes from finding creative ways to reconcile a mix of user insights, product requirements, and technical capabilities into the most compelling and desirable product experiences. You seek to understand and shape the big picture, but also love rolling up your sleeves and digging into the details. You bring the experience of proven successes (and occasional failures), and can lend that insight into helping to drive and elevate the practice of interaction design at Thalmic. You advocate tirelessly on behalf of the user and never pass up an opportunity to solicit their feedback. You are looking to make an impact and see wearable technology as the industry to do just that.
What you will do:
- Contribute to the overall vision and user strategy for Thalmic products, working closely with other designers, product managers, marketing, and engineers to ensure designs are successfully brought to life.
- Help evolve and champion a Design Language System for next-gen Thalmic products that defines interaction models and patterns for multi-platform experiences (wearable, mobile, web).
- Distill user insights and product requirements into simple and intuitive designs, using sketches, storyboards, wireframes, and/or interactive prototypes to communicate your ideas.
- Generate multiple concepts that fulfill product scenarios and present in the context of informal and formal reviews. Use data and best practices to advocate a strong point of view, while being open to feedback from other stakeholders.
- Lead design sprints, exploratory design studios, and other collaborative working sessions with team members and partner stakeholders.
- Leverage your knowledge of user research methodologies to iteratively test and validate designs, gathering data-driven insights to champion for change.
- Help drive schedule and direction for interaction design deliverables, working with other designers to ensure quality and timeliness are met.
- Work closely with developers to ensure implementation adheres to design specifications and to resolve situations when technical capabilities and design needs do not align.
- Bring thought leadership within and outside of the UX team in the form of collaboration, feedback, mentoring, and an advocacy for user-centric design.
What you need:
- A strong portfolio demonstrating a diversity of experience and strong system-level thinking. It should showcase your design process, from ideation through to the final design, and clearly state your individual contribution to each project/product.
- Degree in a relevant field (Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction, etc.)
- Industry experience covering a diverse range of products and platforms; consumer product experience is highly desired. You bring first-hand knowledge of what it takes to ship a product to market.
- Advanced experience with the principles and concepts of user-centred design, information architecture, usability testing, and UX best practices.
- Deep knowledge of a mobile best practices and guidelines, including the Apple Human Interface and Android Guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute usability tests and other user research, showing how results were analyzed and translated into prioritized recommendations.
- Passion for emerging technologies and a hunger to innovate. Comfortable working in ambiguous conditions and able to adapt quickly.
- Proficiency with industry tools, such as Sketch, Invision, Adobe CSS, Flinto, Principle, or equivalent.
Bonus points for:
- Being comfortable and open to working in other design areas as needed, including visual or motion design, and on multiple platforms (web, desktop, etc.)
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.