Director of Development
Education is a right, not a privilege. Our mission at ApplyBoard is to make quality education accessible to students around the world. Through our platform, students from across the globe have access to the best institutions in Canada and the USA; allowing them to easily pursue their educational dreams. Our experts help streamline the application process from submission to enrolment and take care of all the details in between.
ApplyBoard now has the largest user-base in the study abroad industry in the world. We are backed by some of the most prestigious global venture capitalists in Silicon Valley and Toronto and are one of the fastest growing tech companies in the Waterloo region.
We are a startup built on innovation and diversity. Our team comprises of over 50% women, 10 nationalities and over 25 languages spoken! Over the last 3.5 years, we have grown to have employees internationally, with team members in Canada, Vietnam, China, India, and Nepal, with no signs of slowing down!
We are looking for an experienced and creative Director of Development to join our growing Software Development and take our company and platform to the next level!
In this role:
- Meet business needs by managing the activities of engineers, consistently delivering quality solutions
- Work with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements.
- Actively drives the development life-cycle from requirements analysis, feasibility estimates, architectural design, development, implementation, and operational support.
- Work closely with Product Management partners in developing project plans, resource planning, scheduling and managing development timelines
- Building and managing multi-disciplined software teams and overseeing the development processes using industry best practices
- Responsible for design reviews, code reviews, and mentoring the software engineering team
- Work closely with the Talent Acquisition team and hiring managers to hire world-class talent
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses
- Plan and participate in community meetups, fireside chats, info sessions, tech and recruiting events, etc,
- Minimum of 10+ years of work experience in software development
- Min. of 5+ years in a leadership role within software development (Development Manager level equivalent or higher)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency with agile methodologies, software development tools, and best practices
- Strong experiential knowledge of development in an environment utilizing TDD and CI/CD.
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Experience in defining and executing professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle
- Proficiency in Event-Driven and Service Oriented Architecture
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions
- Strengths in problem-solving, issue resolution, ability to work in a deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated experience engaging and influencing peers and executives
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage trade-offs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to work with business, legal, engineering, design, and other stakeholders to deliver products/services
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- A strong leader, mentor, and people manager
- Track record of data-driven decisions
What We Offer:
- Besides having the opportunity to work with a brilliant and globally diverse team we also offer:
- The opportunity to have an impact on a product that is positively affecting change to thousands of students lives every day
- To work with a brilliant and globally diverse team that is the fastest growing in the Waterloo region
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard, however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.