Senior Data Scientist
Smile is the largest provider of reward programs in the world. We reward tens of millions of people every year, and power rewards programs for thousands of businesses around the world.
Given all this data, we’re looking for a talented Senior Data Scientist to help us better understand our users and build better rewards programs. You will jump in right away as an individual contributor analyzing our data needs, delivering solutions to answer our toughest questions and working closely with other functional groups to support business growth. You’ll set the direction and strategy for the architecture and use of data at Smile, and guide the data engineering efforts. If you are data-curious, excited about deriving insights from data, and motivated by having impact on thousands of businesses around the world, we want to hear from you!
- Ask the highest-impact questions that can be answered with our clients’ data
- Enable the different teams at Smile to answer their most impactful questions, and coach others how to think in a data-informed matter
- Identify important opportunities for us to create more effective reward programs
- Apply statistical and econometric models on large datasets to:
- measure results and outcomes
- identify causal impact and attribution
- predict future performance of users or products
- Design, analyze, and interpret the results of experiments with the goal of evaluating new features, reward programs, or product variants
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources
- Identify the highest-impact questions that can be answered with our current data
- Build our “next generation” data collection strategy to expand the set of high-impact questions we can answer as a team
- Consider the data we will need to answer high-impact questions in the future, and then plan and execute to ensure collection and analysis
Characteristics we're looking for (not all required):
- 3+ years experience working with and analyzing large data sets to solve problems OR
- A PhD/MS/BS in a quantitative field (e.g., Economics, Statistics, Sciences, Engineering, CS)
- Expert knowledge of a scientific computing language (such as R or Python) and SQL
- Strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- The ability to communicate results clearly and a focus on driving impact to both our technical & non-technical teams
- A strong business sense, in terms of high-volume products & data environments
- Prior experience with data-distributed tools (Scalding, Hadoop, Pig, etc)
If possible include these in your application:
- A resume or LinkedIn Profile
- Github profile, if applicable
- Description of the most interesting data analysis you’ve done, key findings and its impact
What’s it like to work at Smile.io?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind - from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful business. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.