Manager of Engineering
Title: Manager of Engineering
Date: 21 May 2019
What We Do
HealthIM is a Canadian leader in mental health initiatives and provides software to support police interactions with individuals with serious mental disorders. Police are often the first responders to situations involving a mental health crisis. HealthIM is used by officers to gather their first-hand observations and determine what action is necessary to help an individual the most. These observations are transmitted to local hospitals to help bridge the communication gap between police and healthcare, simplifying the transfer process. HealthIM has been adopted by police agencies in Ontario and the prairies and is currently expanding across Canada. You can find out more at https://www.healthim.com.
You are an adaptable manager able to lead a small team of software developers. You can manage development/code quality and timelines and are able to participate effectively in senior management strategy and discussion. You excel in an independent, fast-paced environment and understand the importance of precision and follow-through. You are confident in your ability to hire, train and mentor software developers and have strong project management skillsets. You balance technical knowledge with strong communication and organizational skills, allowing you to make a significant impact in communities across Canada and beyond.
What You Will Do
As a small and rapidly growing organization, your responsibility is to build, bugfix and maintain our SaaS product per client and team direction.
Specific core responsibilities:
- Hire, train and mentor a small team of software developers
- Evaluate projects, develop and update schedules and supervise status
- Manage your team’s completion of multiple simultaneous complex projects
- Verify software / code matches design / UX / client input and direction
- Responsible for software quality and customer satisfaction
- Prepare documentation capturing project objectives, requirements, and deliverables
- Ensure project objectives are understood and met, ensuring that all development team members understand the requirements
- Proactively identify and address project risks and issues, including the development of contingency plans
- Ensure teams are adequately consulted and satisfied with each deliverable as it effects their specific area
- Develop software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation
- Modify current software to correct errors, allowing it to adapt to new hardware, and/or to improve its performance
- Ensures developers are working effectively to deliver high quality software
- Provide mentorship to employees to achieve goals and maximize their potential
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience in software development management
- Proficiency with some of these languages (Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin, Ruby)
- Experience mentoring and leading software developers
- Demonstrate unusually high attention to detail
- Experience with building testing systems for client and server applications
- Solid software development background.
- Self-Starter with ability to prioritize, multi-task and adjust to changing situations
- Able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Determined to deliver outcomes and able to overcome obstacles to move forward
- Excellent communication skills, able to communicate clearly on both technical and non-technical matters to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Continuous drive to learn, pushing technical limits, and finding new solutions
- Curious and inquisitive with strong analytic and decision-making abilities
- Experience working with all levels of the technology stack
- Able to understand database models and how to work with them
Why work at HealthIM
We are building stronger communities by providing software that police officers use during mental health crisis calls. Every police service we work with is dedicated to supporting their community and each member of our team is committed to helping enhance these efforts. We hold each other accountable, support each other and work collaboratively in an open and candid environment. Ultimately, at HealthIM our goal is to make a difference in the day to day encounters between officers and their communities.
This is a unique career opportunity to have a substantial impact on communities large and small as part of a rapidly growing software company. We value excellence as our efforts directly influence how police support individuals in crisis. If you want the responsibility of project ownership, the freedom to learn and grow, and the opportunity to make change, then this is the position for you.
Application Form: https://forms.gle/Ehv41B9kKqqFxYsBA
Posting Open: Immediately
Posting Closes: Friday June 14th @ 12:00 pm
Job Type: Full-time