Director of Product Design
What you will do
- Guide the centralized team of visual, interaction, and user researchers to realize its full potential. This role requires strong product and design vision, coupled with the ability to manage a growing team.
- Inspire the team to be thought leaders within Thalmic and create world-class products and concepts. You will be required to advocate, amplify, and promote the team’s work to leadership and across the organization.
- Strong product, design, and research advocate. You can arrive at a strong Product point of view from a user perspective and guide strategic discussions with partner teams and leadership.
- Employ qualitative research and translate it into actionable insights and opportunities for product strategies.
- Frame strategic business, product, and engineering needs from customers’ perspective. Foster user-centric design culture, values, and principles throughout Thalmic.
- Create original concepts as part of the design team that scale across existing as well as future products.
- Develop and grow a cohesive vision across product and brand. Boil down complex technologies into simple, intuitive, and beautiful products and user experiences.
- Tell a great story through the end product that delivers on the overall product vision and business goals.
- Strategically map out key activities within the Design team and across partner teams.
- Plan and drive the team’s work and deliverables on a day-to-day basis.
- Mentor, hire and retain a strong team of talented individuals. Grow design/research leadership within Thalmic.
What you need:
- Bachelor degree in design and research, human-computer interaction or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- A solid understanding and demonstration of user-centered and product design principles.
- Experience leading a team of UX and research professionals should be a requirement
- Field experience conducting user research e.g. ethnographic studies, usability sessions, focus groups, etc
- Some level of studio or consultancy leadership experience.
- Excellent written, listening and oral communication skills.
- Has lead or worked on something that failed (and can demonstrate learning from it)
- Portfolio of compelling work across a variety of platforms
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Bonus points for:
- MFA in human factors, information design, or related area.
- Strong experience and passion for products that include consumer product experience including experiences at the intersection of hardware and software.
- Deep understanding of how design, prototyping, and user research meet complex and varied requirements on highly technical scientific and engineering projects.
- Some level of experience in industrial design and motion design.
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.