Quarterhill is focused on the disciplined acquisition, management and growth of companies in dedicated technology areas including, vertical market software and solutions, intelligent industrial systems, and innovation and licensing. Quarterhill’s emphasis is on seeking out acquisition opportunities at reasonable valuations that provide a foundation for recurring revenues, predictable cash flows and margins, profitable growth, intimate customer relationships and dedicated management teams.
Quarterhill is headquartered in Kitchener-Waterloo and listed on the TSX and NASDAQ under the symbol QTRH.
About the Opportunity:
Working in our K-W office, under the direction of the Controller, this position is responsible for all daily transactional & month-end activities for both the Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable functions, as well as all aspects of the daily transactions and monthly accounting cycle, ensuring timely and accurate financial close.
With comprehensive accounts payable and receivable experience along with general accounting acumen, you have the courage to think differently about how things get done every day to continuously improve processes and service delivery. You embrace new things, are open to different perspectives, adapt quickly to an evolving environment and energize those around you by collaborating in a team environment. You’re enthusiastic, self-directed, and able to work independently with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced environment and enjoy analyzing data while managing multiple tasks. You take the initiative on issues, pride yourself on your attention to detail and identify issues and suggest quick, appropriate resolutions whenever needed. You understand the importance of precision and follow-through and enjoy being the go-to person in a team where your voice and input are valued and where you can see the impact of your contributions daily. If these traits describe YOU, then please read on!
What you’ll do:
· Receive, verify and charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports and recording entries ensuring high level of accuracy
· Prepare and process regular payment runs ensuring that all payments are made in accordance with company policy
· Resolve payment and billing discrepancies and disputes on behalf of the company
· Create and maintain both the vendor and customer files and records
· Generate customer invoices based on established license agreements
· Facilitate payment of invoices due by sending bill reminders and contacting clients
· Reconcile both the accounts receivable and accounts payable sub-ledgers to the general ledger
· Complete weekly bank reconciliations
· Prepare month-end journal entries and analyze/reconcile general ledger accounts
· Prepare and submit the monthly annual HST/GST filings and remittances
· Assist with maintaining SOX and internal controls
· If you have any time left over, assist with ad hoc assignments or other related duties as required
Who you are:
· You can effectively process a high volume of data with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy despite multiple interruptions
· You pride yourself on having effective organizational and time management skills enabling you manage multiple projects, priorities and deadlines simultaneously
· You work well in a team environment demonstrating respect, encouragement, and collaboration/cooperation but are equally effective working independently with little supervision
· You are articulate in oral and written English, and can communicate effectively with internal and external customers and build strong relationships
· You effectively adapt in a changing environment, supporting multiple clients, by following established processes/procedures, but are equally adept at modifying/ designing processes and procedures/requirements to enhance service delivery
· You always challenge yourself to improve upon the status quo and are eager to be the best at your craft and take the initiative to learn and adapt new technology/systems
What you’ve Done:
· All the stuff we said about What You’ll Do, above … plus
· Working knowledge of NetSuite, Microsoft Dynamics GP or similar ERP system and demonstrated ability to learn new applications, as necessary
· 3 to 5 years of full cycle Accounts Payable and Receivable, and Accounting experience on an ERP system
· Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel
What You’ve Accomplished:
· University degree or college diploma in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field or equivalent working experience
Bonus Points if You have…
· Strong experience processing AR/AP on the NetSuite platform
· A broader knowledge of accounting, through progression or recent completion of CPA designation, sufficient to assist in other transactional accounting roles
· Exposure to payroll processing to act as backup to Payroll function
Just So You Know …
· The hired candidate will be required to complete a reference and background check
· While this role is located in Kitchener, some travel to Kanata may be required for the first 3 months for training
What You’ll Experience:
A fun and supportive team, with opportunity to grow, that likes to work hard and play hard while respecting and appreciating everyone’s contribution to our success.
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar and encourage unconventional thinking to solve problems and gain insight into our business. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and a flexible work environment with great benefits and competitive pay.
If this feels like YOU or you have most of what we’re looking for and are willing to learn the rest, then we want to meet YOU!
So Now What?
If this role looks like a good fit for you, we want to meet you! Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. As an equal opportunity employer Quarterhill values diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status and we are committed to treating all people in a way that enables them to maintain their dignity and independence. While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Anyone needing accommodation in the application process or needing the job postings in an alternative format, please let us know.