Intellectual Property Specialist
You’re a scientist or engineer who really likes to write. Your passion for technology gives you the energy to read and absorb complicated technical documents, which you will quickly understand and be able to explain to others. You thoroughly enjoy word puzzles and you’re not afraid to admit it.
As an Intellectual Property Specialist at Thalmic, you will learn new things every single day. You will attend technical meetings to keep abreast of Thalmic’s technical developments and you will research 3rd party technologies. You will read patents and you will write patents. This experience can help qualify you to sit for the Canadian patent agent examinations and become a registered patent agent in Canada if you so choose.
What you’ll be doing:
- Keeping abreast of Thalmic’s technical developments to help identify new inventions
- Researching technical concepts (in both the patent/non-patent literature) to identify how other people do things and how Thalmic might do things
- Drafting patent applications, with the guidance of experienced patent agents and attorneys
- Drafting responses to initial rejections and other correspondences from various patent offices
- Generally helping maintain Thalmic’s growing international patent portfolio
- Side projects may include: research projects and literature reviews to support Thalmic’s Advanced R&D team, database management, legal and contracts support
What you’ll need:
- You must have significant experience writing patents
- Bachelor’s degree in any science or engineering discipline
- Exceptional English language skills
- Proven capacity to perform independent research, and to quickly understand complicated technologies
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Professional and positive approach, self-motivated, strong in building relationships, team player, dynamic, creative with the ability to work on own initiative.
Bonus points for:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar
- Examples of both technical and non-technical writing experience
- Demonstrable patent drafting experience
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
Thalmic is a hardware + software company building exciting technologies that will shape the future of human-computer interaction, backed by a world-class team of investors including Intel Capital, Spark Capital and The Amazon Alexa Fund.
We announced our first product, the Myo gesture control armband, in 2013, and pre-sold over 10,000 units in the first 48 hours. Myo is now shipping worldwide and has gone on to win numerous awards, including Digital Trends’ “Best of CES 2014” Award for Cool Tech.