Director, Enterprise Architecture
Reporting directly to the VP, Enterprise Architecture and Technology Strategy the Director, Enterprise Architecture is responsible for establishing the EA function across all of Economical Insurance. The incumbent will work with the IT leadership team and collaborate on IT strategy translating strategic intent into actions that bring about innovation, business and technology change. He/she will define the application landscape and enabling technologies and will architect component-based solutions that support business requirements (which include agility of design, cost effectiveness, high reuse value and optimization of existing components, etc.).
The individual is expected to understand the P&C industry, have demonstrated experience with enabling business outcomes through information technology solutions and design, and is able to positively influence business executives and decisions through recommendations on technology changes that are required to grow and transform the business. The role will lead a team of Enterprise and Solution Architects to create and implement enterprise systems architecture. The purpose is to state clear technology direction and integrate key systems, leverage data throughout and establish industry best practices to implement holistic, cost effective and future proof solution aligned to the business architecture and strategy.
- Evolve and execute the enterprise architecture governance process and defines and implements technology governance standards
- Actively champion thought leadership of the discipline of Enterprise Architecture across the technology, operations and business areas
- Ensure appropriate research into current and emerging technology trends to determine how these may add value to the business, and provide appropriate briefings to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develop the Application Architecture to be followed by developers and by external application development partners, incorporating industry standards and Economical standards, programming models, function patterns, development guidelines, etc.
- Develop Solution Architectures as required for major systems components, based on Application Architecture and full Enterprise Architecture conformance, mindful of both strategic alignment and pragmatic solution needs.
- Advise Business and IT on matters related to enterprise IT Strategy and its development, addressing both business and IT needs.
- Establish and maintain Business Capability Modeling
- Establish Business Capability Roadmaps
- Drive Technology Selection Initiatives
- Ensure ongoing alignment of Technology Strategy with Business Strategy
- Collaborate with Executive Sponsors on Business Case Development
- University Degree or college diploma in computer science, information systems or a related discipline; an advanced degree is desirable (e.g. MBA/MSc)
- 10-12+ years in a related field, with 6+ years of experience as an Architect across two or more of the architecture domains (e.g. Business, Data, Solution, Process, Technology), one of which must be Solution
- 6+ years of management/leadership experience in a regulated corporate environment
- Experience in P&C insurance industry is considered an asset
- Experience with Guidewire is considered a major asset
- Experience with Digital platforms is considered an asset
- Relevant certifications and/or experience are considered an asset. For example:
- IBM Certified Solution Architect
- IT/Technology Infrastructure Design & Planning
- Bluemix and/or Cloud Foundry certification
- Knowledge of Agile and Scrum
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a wide array of technologies, tools and techniques including, but not limited to: Platform knowledge (e.g. mainframe, distributed (UNIX, Intel) Operating systems and DBMS, Middleware, Communications, Storage, Client Computing, Systems management software, Infrastructure security. Familiarity with SQA principles and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to interpret technology and market trends as a foundation for architecture roadmaps
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships with business partners, vendors and IT teams to achieve results
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills
- Demonstrated financial management skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, presentation and facilitation skills