Legal Assistant – Kitchener-Waterloo
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property (“IP”) law firms. We have over 260 employees, including more than 70 lawyers, patent and trademark agents, with four offices located in major economic or technology centres. We are an award-winning firm with a global reputation as one of the largest, and most experienced in patent and trademark law. We provide exceptional client service and are driven by our commitment to professional excellence. At B&P we are proud of our collaborative and inclusive work environment.
There is an immediate opportunity available for a highly organized and motivated Legal Assistant within our Kitchener - Waterloo office. This position will primarily assist a small team of Patent lawyers, whose practices include patent drafting, filing, prosecution and legal opinion work.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare certain formal patent application documents, such as Application Data Sheets, Information Disclosure Statement, Declarations and Assignments as directed.
- Monitor the progress of applications to ensure files are in order and up-to-date.
- Prepare client correspondence for professional review and approval.
- File documents with intellectual property offices.
- Monitor and follow up with appropriate parties on due dates and bring to the attention of the responsible party.
- Handle all administrative tasks for the practice such as: coordinating meeting, e-file management, opening and closing client files; billing; and maintenance of client contact information.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring to B&P:
- Legal Assistant Diploma/ Certificate or equivalent experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with document management systems an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite of products (WORD, Excel and Outlook).
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and prioritization skills.
- Strong team player that demonstrates excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and an ability to work independently.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes. Please include "Legal Assistant – Kitchener -Waterloo" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format, please contact Liam Bragg, Human Resources Generalist by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone 416-957-1622.