Smile builds rewards program infrastructure for the internet. Every day, thousands of businesses use Smile to reward millions of customers around the world. Our mission is to become the easiest and most popular way the world rewards.
The engineering team, in partnership with product management & design, drive company growth by shipping improvements at a consistent and rapid pace. We value pace of product iteration because we believe that’s the recipe for building great products. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental improvements. Even our biggest updates roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly-scoped. Teams ship code dozens of times daily. The team lives and breathes one of Smile’s core principles: be hungry; continually self-improve so you can do the best work of your career.
Smile is growing fast. We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to help us grow our 12 person engineering team to 50+ over the next few years. You’ll lead and grow a team who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 10M API requests per day, to abstracting reward programs to fit any industry, to providing the right reward to the right person at the right time in a repeatable way.
Come do the best work of your life here at Smile.
- Inspire, motivate and develop engineers of all levels to do the best work of their career
- Work in close partnership with product management and design to deliver best-in-class product experiences for our users.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Smile’s recruiting team.
- Grow our engineering team from 12 to 50+ over the next few years
- Guide the team in defining and developing the architectures needed to deliver great product experiences at pace.
- Manage the processes necessary to operate the team effectively
- Coordinate initiatives that span across multiple engineering teams
- Report to the CTO, alongside our design, product management, and data leaders
You may be a good fit if:
- You are deeply technical, but prefer to lean on your leadership skills
- You have built large engineering teams that have a strong record of shipping
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You have architected large web applications with many users & contributors
- You’ve successfully recruited and retained great engineers to your teams
- You have an eye for great products and can work with product management & design leaders to effectively deliver them
- You know how to balance the reliability, scalability, simplicity and cost of critical systems
- You are comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Smile’s organization
- You have developed an entrepreneurial passion to scale technology businesses
What’s it like to work at Smile?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you'll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble - think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry - set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human - show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind - from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution - the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
We believe that diverse teams perform better and that fostering an inclusive work environment is a key part of growing a successful business. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.