Electrical Engineer (Industrial)
Position: Electrical Engineer
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Experience: 3-5 Years relevant experience
Education: Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering
Division: OTTO Motors
Clearpath provides self-driving vehicle technology and services to over 500 of the world’s most innovative brands. Proprietary hardware, software, and services are delivered through the company’s research and industrial divisions: Clearpath Robotics and OTTO Motors.
We employ a diverse and highly talented team who live and breathe robotics. We believe that work must have a high “cool” factor and every day should bring new knowledge. We need more passionate people on our team who are willing and able to push the boundaries of robotics into focused and practical applications.
Clearpath is automating the world and we need your help. Got what it takes?
About the Job
We’re shipping more and more robots and seeing new uses for our products emerge every day! We need an experienced Electrical Engineer to help us take our innovative designs from napkin sketches to hundreds of pounds of precisely moving parts and facilitate every step in-between.
You will be responsible for the electrical/electronics designs of existing and new industrial robotics products. This will range through the entire design process from initial concept design and cost forecasting through to detailed design, verification and validation, and final release to production. Design challenges will span from high-level system architecture, power distribution to board layout, and field testing
Our hardware must be many things, but reliability is paramount. It will be your job to build systems that can operate in whatever environment we subject them to, all while keeping the motors turning for our mechanical team and the 1’s and 0’s flowing properly for our software developers.
Typical day to day:
- Concept, design, prototyping, release to production and manufacturing support
- Working with client success team to correct in field issues
- Generating documentation:
- Operations and Maintenance Documentation
- Testing evaluations and reports
- 8D reports
- Manufacturing Drawings
- Developing subject matter expertise in your discipline
- Standards review and compliance assessments
Your primary responsibilities could include:
- Electrical design on robotics platforms
- Root cause analysis and product revision to correct customer issues
- Diagnostics and design revisions of complex mobile robots and manipulation systems
- Power distribution and motor systems
- Low speed digital/analog circuit design
- Cable assembly design
- PCBA design, microprocessor and network integration (CAN, Ethernet, ModBUS etc.)
- Integration and testing of prototypes into fearsome robots
- Battery system architecture, design and debug
- Familiarity with industrial design, practices and standards
Additional tasks may include:
- Care, feeding, and testing of new platforms and attachments
- Evaluating how we can apply lessons-learned from other industries to our designs
- Supporting on-site installation and commissioning of robotics equipment at customer facilities. Occasional travel may be required
- Supporting the evaluation of existing and new suppliers
- Certification and compliance reviews
- Mentoring and assisting with supervision of interns, co-op students, and temporary labour
You want to work for a company with a strong foundation that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven and, view work as more than just a job., and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You want to be surrounded by people like you; creative, fun-loving, and passionate about their work. You are motivated by making an impact on your workplace and you thrive on challenging and rewarding problems. Oh, and you have some form of higher education with the common sense to back it up.
Experience in the following:
- Vehicle design or moving electrical subsystems
- Industrial design and standards including panel building, BUS networks and safety controls
- Battery operated control systems and battery architecture for Lead Acid and Lithium chemistries
- Traction motor integration and regenerative architecture
- Vehicle harnessing best practices
- Root cause and debug of existing product and prototypes
- Standard tools include: Altium, Vesys and Solidworks
- Supporting manufacturers in process, component swap and correction
- Integration of different types of sensors including LIDAR, cameras, and ToF
- Familiarity with microprocessors, firmware, computer and PLC integration
- Electrical systems design (3+ yrs)
- Prototyping and debugging experience (3+ yrs)
- Experience with industry-standard CAE design tools
- Electrical/electronic component selection and validation
- Experience with sensor selection and integration (proximity, LIDAR, cameras etc)
- Comfortable working closely within a multidisciplinary team
Bonus points for:
- Kilowatt-class motor controller design experience
- Standards and/or certification authority experience (UL, CSA, CE, FCC, ESA and NEC (US and Canada)
- Knowledge of communications architectures including ethernet, USB, CANbus, RS422/485 and I2C
- Battery design and related monitoring technology.
- Full-spectrum PDLC (Product Development Life Cycle) experience.
- 480V/600V 3-phase automation equipment and industrial panel layout and design, construction, and industrial safety system design (3+ yrs)
- Familiarity with mechanical subsystems
Clearpath is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. We hire the best talent regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sex, veteran status or sexual orientation. If you require special accommodation to complete any portion of the application or interview process, please contact 1-800-301-3863.