Software Development Manager
Looking for technical leader who is passionate about high performance and prioritizing the performance of their team
Every day, our software is used by millions of people around the world, and we are looking for individuals who share in our excitement and passion for transforming the way the world learns. At D2L, we believe that learning should be accessible and engaging. Our goal is to create easy, flexible, and smart software that ignites the desire to learn in everyone. To do this, we need to give talented, enthusiastic, and passionate people opportunities to create, develop, and collaborate on projects that revolutionize the learning environment.
D2L creates industry-leading web-based enterprise e-Learning systems as well as direct-to-consumer web and mobile apps. Our applications deliver material to millions of users worldwide every day.
The Software Development Manager is crucial to the success and the productivity of the department. A successful Development Manager ensures teams are working effectively to deliver high quality software at a high frequency cadence, while developing the individuals to their full potential.
You are passionate about high performance and put the performance of the team above you as an individual.
As you grow in this role, you continue to keep up-to-date and innovate with the latest in web, mobile and software technologies. You continuously learn the best practice to manage teams to high performance. You take pride not just getting things done, but getting them done well.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Build it right. Ensure solutions are built with high quality, using simple clean designs according to sound architectural principles.
- Develop and grow your people. Coach and enable the growth of people on the team.
- Remove road blocks. Support the team by guiding them on overcoming impediments to their success.
- Enable effective process. Act as Scrum Master and/or Agile coach to ensure the team is operating effectively.
- Create reliable plans. Work with the team to estimate work, assess risk and provide effective delivery plans.
- Communicate and collaborate with other teams and roles to ensure alignment and achievement of higher level goals.
- Assess new technologies and determine how to utilize them to improve product lines.
- Drive a culture of high quality and innovation,by collaborating with Architects, Product Managers and Product Owners / Technical Product Managers.
- Improve how we deliver software. We want people how are driven to improve all of Product Development, beyond just their team.
WHAT IS D2L LOOKING FOR FROM ME?
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Proven experience of successfully managing and leading Agile teams.
- Deep understanding of software engineering best practices.
- Strong knowledge and experience in Agile methodologies.
- Experience managing people to high performance and reaching their potential
- Hands on experience building software.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience.
WHY WE'RE AWESOME:
- Flexible work hours
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Dog Friendly office
- Snacks and food trays!
- Foosball and Ping-Pong tables
- Showers on site
- Centrally located in downtown, close to restaurants and pubs, easily accessible by public transit