Technical Program Manager
- The PEER Group Inc
- Salary, benefits, profit sharing
- Job Function
- Project Management and Business Analysis
- Job Type
- Full time
- Company Size
- Scaling (20-499)
Technical Program Manager
Smart Manufacturing starts with factory automation software
PEER Group® provides the largest portfolio of factory automation software products and services to high-volume manufacturers and equipment makers in the semiconductor, photovoltaics (PV), and electronics industries.
We help lower the cost of automation for our customers by solving their most challenging equipment automation, data management, and process control problems.
As a group, we are focused on creating customer success while working in a supportive atmosphere filled with challenges, fun and food. Our workstations were created for ergonomic comfort with cube walls for times when we have to concentrate and huge whiteboards for when we need to collaborate. We like profit sharing and full disclosure Communications Meetings. We recognize the great people we grow by promoting from within.
Technical Program Manager
One position available in Kitchener, ON
Using your industry experience, you will direct customer/team interaction for a program (one large project or several small projects) in a high-tech manufacturing environment, helping us understand customer needs and translating them into a solution that will solve their problem on time, on budget and with superior quality.
You will work with Sales to develop long-term client relationships that lead to more opportunities for PEER Group.
You will be involved in program planning for all phases of the software engineering process - from functional specs and design, to software development and unit testing, to installation at the customer site and ensuring customer success and satisfaction.
What’s the challenge?
- Manage and develop customer relationships ensuring we provide quality deliverables that meet their needs.
- Develop strong team members. Help your people meet their career goals – get to know who they are, what they can do and what they are capable of doing next. Ensure they are provided with the necessary mentoring, performance evaluations, and given timely feedback.
- Foster a strong team dynamic that focuses on program goals, positive customer engagement, and open communication with the team.
- Role development – This is a senior role. You will be the only person in this role. You will help shape the strategy, tasks, and deliverables for this position moving forward.
- Your leader is the Director, Engineering Services.
- Join the Engineering Management team that includes managers from Engineering Products and Services, HR, IT, and Marketing.
- Lead a large team or several smaller teams including Software Development Managers, Developers, Quality Assurance and Information Developers.
- Work with Sales and Applications Engineering to create project bids and close opportunities.
- Build a strong relationship with Product Engineering using customer experiences to help feed into the product roadmap and align services deliverables with product direction.
- Travel to customer site to keep your finger on the pulse of the program and foster and grow customer relationships.
- Meet with Sales, your customers and the team to create a project plan and develop a schedule for project deliverables and milestones.
- Be involved in all the phases of the software engineering process - from functional specs and design, to software development and unit testing, to functional quality assurance testing followed by installation at the customer site.
- Respond to changes in deliverables, resources and timelines.
- Plan for installation, implementation, and integration of software at the customer location.
- Ensure all processes and standards are followed.
- Plan face to face interaction to ensure customer success.
- Meet regularly with the Director, Engineering Services to report on program status, completion of milestones, change requests, project risk and employee and customer issues.
- Meet regularly with customers to report on project status and gather feedback regarding issues.
- Use tools like VSTS, Excel and MS Project to create detailed schedules and track performance to plan, managing scope, risks, schedule and quality.
- Respond to changing needs with a new plan.
- Flex your communication style to deal with many different personality types.
- 25% travel to customer sites and on-site work. Must be legally able to travel immediately within North America, Asia and Europe.
What do you need to bring with you?
- Post-secondary education in a technical field (Engineering, Systems Design, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science) and/or work experience, ideally in the area of automation technology.
- Effective leadership skills including coaching, mentoring and developing employees.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with customers and teammates face to face and remotely.
- Excellent skills in negotiation, facilitation, conflict resolution and team building.
- 7+ years of progressively responsible experience leading software programs or very large projects through the complete life cycle using a structured software development environment.
- Software development experience for industrial automation would be an asset, e.g. automation control, equipment monitoring, custom drivers.
- Practical experience using MS PowerPoint, Project, Word, Excel and Visio.
- Previous experience using Microsoft development tools.
- Specialized knowledge of industry standards in the semiconductor domain (300mm SEMI Standards) as well as PEER products is a bonus.
- High commitment to success, ability to multitask within tight deadlines, and a professional demeanor are assumed.
From helping with the sales effort, to participating in the program or project post mortem – you’ve done it all – mentored people on the team, placated and negotiated with the customer, massaged the schedule, managed the risks and stick-handled the integration trip. You are a resourceful person who comes to each new challenge with a plan.
You have the ability to understand what it takes to deliver a successful program. Leveraging your years of experience, you know what it takes to follow a plan and processes but also know when it makes sense to adapt to the situation. You have a bit of savoir faire and can develop relationships that will help you increase your success in delivering projects.
You like the excitement of being part of something new — bringing a new fab or a new tool into production. You enjoy the learning, teamwork, and challenge of making a large project successful. You know that most good things happen as a result of a carefully managed plan — requirements gathering, sharing of information, commitment to a clear goal, co-coordinating and communicating the plan for delivery and acceptance — that leads to customer satisfaction.
About PEER Group
PEER Group is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, with an office in Dresden, Germany. A privately-held company, PEER Group currently employs over 170 people worldwide.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, ability and performance. We welcome inquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workplace.
If you require accommodation in completing the application process please email email@example.com or call HR at 519 749 9554. If you are contacted regarding this position, please advise HR of accommodation measures you may require during our interview process. Of course, we will address these matters with respect and confidentiality.
No agencies please.